2001 Grand Cherokee Laredo Battery

I recently purchased my daughters '01 Grand Cherokee. It has the original battery. My feeling is I should change it now before I have trouble. This has been the 4th winter for the battery. Does anyone know what the lifetime is for these batterys ...are they 60 month batteries....

Thanks....

LOVE MY JEEP!

Reply to
Firebird

Firebird did pass the time by typing:

I've had batteries last from 1 day to 8 years. All depends on how well it has been treated. The OEM battery in my ZJ only lasted two years. I replaced it with the highest capacity/CCA battery that pepboys sold (7 year warranty) and it lasted almost seven years. The one that replaced it is still in there although it had to be resurrected a month ago. (fast plate cleaning charge followed by a series of slow charges up to the max capacity)

OBTW: never put tap-water in a battery. Use only distilled water.

Guess if you have $ burning a hole in your wallet you could. Optima is a good choice, but I prefer lead acid from stores that are in the states I drive through.

Reply to
DougW

The question is, do you really want to go out to the Jeep one day and it won't start? Good batteries are less than $100. When you are pushing 5-years on the battery, you are also pushing your luck. Follow your feelings and get a new battery.

Reply to
Dick

Reply to
Firebird

Firebird proclaimed:

Check around. Some jeep dealers carry the eXtreme Jeep battery which is probably overkill. If you can catch Sears or a 4Wheel Parts in your area, both carry the Optima Red which again is overkill. The big DieHard also works.

Reply to
Lon