2001 Jeep TJ Service Questions

Hello,

I have a several service questions regarding my 2001 TJ 4.0L.

  1. Oil Change: I run Mobile 1 Tri-Synthetic 10W30 and a K&N HP-2004 Filter. Last change was in August 2K3, but only a little over 2,000 miles on this oil/filter. Is it time to change anyway?

  1. Thinking of changing my spark plugs to Autolite APP 985's. I have the Daimler Chrysler TJ Service Manual and it does not look too difficult to get the coil rail off except for the wiring harness against the firewall. The manual makes it look easy but in feeling around, it seems like it may be a little tricky. Any hints?

  2. Time to change the air filter too. Stick with MOPAR?

Thanks very much for your time and advice.

Campbell Freeman

Reply to
Campbell Freeman

1) I'm a little retentive regarding the oil changes on my Jeep (hehehe) so I'd say yes, time to change. 2) Not sure I understand this question.... when I did the plugs on my '99, I just took out the old ones, bought new ones and gapped them to spec, and put them in. Coil rail off? 3) *shrug* I dunno, I bought a Fram.

Dave

David C. Moller

I change my oil every 3 months. My opinion - If you drive from California to New York @ hwy speed.........could be 8000miles in 2 weeks & still have clean oil. If you spend most of your time sitting on an L.A. hwy, idling (very low miles), or if your vehicle sits in the garage (0.0 miles) gathering condensation - you would still need to change your oil. So............for me mileage would seem to be a less valid factor than time.

Reply to
Carlo

The coli rail is very easy, I did not even unhook the connector in the back. It should just rest on some hoses. Easiest set of plugs I have ever changed. Just make sure you unhook the negative cable.

I use mobil1 and change it about every 5k miles.

I also have a K&N air filter, but fram is a pretty good one if you don't want to spend the money.

Casey

Reply to
<casey3477