2001 Wrangler Lifter Noise

I have a 2001 Jeep Wrangler with the 4.0 engine. It has 56,000 miles. When starting the engine there is a loud rapid ticking noise that last until the engine warms. It only does this when starting a cold engine but not every time, maybe 3 or 4 times a week. It first started doing this a little after 30,000 miles and then it stopped and now it's doing it again but more frequent. If I end up replacing the valve lifters does anyone know of a good place to buy the hydraulic lifter removal tool? Is this tool really needed or could I get by without it? Also will I have to remove the A/C compressor? The book wasn't real clear on this part of it. It didn't say anything about removing the A/C during the head removal procedure but did say to recharge after assembly. I like to know what I'm getting into before I start. I appreciate any help.

Thanks, Dennis

Reply to
Dennis

I had a 1990 XJ with the 4.0 that started the ticking sound around 60,000. It never got any worse, and was still doing it when I sold it at 276,000 miles.

Spdloader

Reply to
Spdloader

Dennis did pass the time by typing:

The first thing I would check for is a craked exhaust pipe. Lifters usually don't go bad that quickly, but a cracked header will make noise like you describe.

Reply to
DougW

Reply to
L.W.( ßill ) Hughes III

Another possibility is a cheap Fram(R) filter without an anti-drain valve in it.

Earle

Reply to
Earle Horton

Reply to
L.W.( ßill ) Hughes III

Thanks to all who wrote. I will check the exhaust which is something that would have never entered my mind, and I do use Fram filters so I'll check that out also. Thanks again, Dennis

Reply to
Dennis

I only use AC Delco oil filters in my baby. It's worth the extra dollar to know I've got a quality item removing the particles.

Reply to
Scott in Baltimore

replace fram with a wix or motorcraft, your noise will be gone.

Reply to
Matt Macchiarolo

Easy enough to do. Thanks for the information.

Reply to
Dennis

Let us know what you do and what fixes your problem.

Carl

Reply to
Carl

If it's actually the lifters, You can live with it until the cam needs replacing.

One of those telescoping magnetic retrieval tools (with the biggest magnet I could find at autozone) easilly lifted my lifters, in a few months when I go back in to replace my cam I will use 6 of the suckers to suspend the lifters off the cam so I don't have to remove my freshly installed 4.0 head (this is an 88 YJ with a 4.2 bottom end).

I put Crane anti-pump up lifters in It's quiet as a new engine now, (helped certainly by the new valve train). But I wouldn't go through all that just to do the lifters.

Definitely try some light mobil 1 for a few changes before you go digging in.

Reply to
Simon Juncal

Reply to
L.W.( ßill ) Hughes III

Are we talking about terrorists again.....

Reply to
billy ray

Hello, I changed to an AC Delco filter and Mobile 1 oil. Started the engine first thing this morning and it still made the noise, only this time instead of lasting 4 or 5 minutes it stopped after a couple of seconds. It definitely sounds internal.When I got off work and started the engine it was quiet. I can't tell if the exhaust manifolds are cracked the intake is in the way. Next time I have to get under it I'll see if I can get a better look. For now I'm just going to drive it and see how it goes. Thank you all for taking the time to help.

Dennis

Reply to
Dennis