2002 cherokee radio sound cuts out???

Very strange one this. We took a long drive up into the Wisconsin hills ( about 3 hours ) and the radio was fine. Then mid sentence the sound went dead. I tried the volume that did nothing, I turned it off and on several times leaving it off for several minutes. I tried a tape a compact disk and nothing. It showed it was playing the tape and cd but no noise came out. I tried fiddling with the balance and fade, nothing. I thought there must be some kind of mute button so I hunted through the manual and could find nothing. I gave up and we parked for the night. When we started up in the morning the radio started full volume. We drove back and damn if the darn thing didn't do the same thing after about 3 hours. We drove back and were listening to a chat radio station when it cut out again same deal. Almost exactly at 3 hours. the display still shows the radio station information and time but no sound. In fact the display works fine. Any ideas it's driving me nuts, I thought it might be a loose wire or something but the timing was too close.

HELP ME PLEASE!!!!!

Reply to
harry palmer

If you have an OEM radio the same thing happened in my wife's Dodge. It was a bad board in the radio and when it got hot it opened up one of the circuits. Replaced under warranty and all is well. Chrysler uses the same radio just for about everything you can probably pick up a used one at the auto salvage or these guys

Coasty

Thanks coasty

this sucks. I bought it from CARMAX so I'm sure it's out of warranty. Thanks for all the helpful info and the resellers.

Dave

Reply to
harry palmer