2002 Wrangler "Heater-A/C Kick Cover" question...

Hello!

I apparently need to replace the resistor block that controls the fan speed on my 2002 Wrangler. The only speed that works is "high," and all signs point to replacing this 20-dollar part first.

To do this, the directions I've found on line say I should remove the "Heater-A/C Housing Kick Cover," and replace the resistor block. But to get into the area (I'm not a small person) requires jamming myself under the dash. Before I get there, and start trying to figure out which screws will actually remove the cover, and what kind of tool I need - I thought I'd see if others have already performed the task - and could offer advice (like where the screws are that remove the cover.)

Thanks in advance for any advice!

All best.

-- Doug Boynton

Reply to
Doug Boynton

L.W.( ßill ) Hughes III

Bill,

I was checking out the link you sent Doug about the HEAT/AC problem and thought maybe it may help my problem

I can use low, medium 1 and medium 2, but when I switch to high everything just cuts off. Do you think it is possible that one of the relays or fuses could be bad. I tried the one in the fusebox by the battery without luck and the one directly behind the glove box. They didn't make a difference. It would still only work in the first 3 settings. It gets nice and cold .. it doesn't heat that well though.

Thanks for the help!

Shawn

Reply to
sp

Reply to
L.W.( ßill ) Hughes III

I see this problem common on my tj's and I start with the resistor.. if it doesnt work I buy the ac control unit resistor 15 bucks control unit 55 bucks

Reply to
IsellJeeps

There is a recall out for at least one year of TJ for that problem. In that case it is a bad ground on the right side of the instrument cluster in the dash which fails when high amps like the fan on full happens.

Here is the gist of it: Recall 99V117000: Instrument Panel Ground Screws Loose

The left side and right side instrument panel wiring ground attachment screws could loosen over time. If the left side screw loosens, the instrument panel gauges may not function when the headlamps are turned on. If the right side screw loosens, the defroster blower motor may not function.

Hope this helps,

Mike

sp wrote:

Reply to
Mike Romain

If it is like our Cherokee, there is one screw in the bottom to remove the cover. The unit is in the passenger side foot well so you don't have to be a contortionist to get at it.

Mike

Doug Boynt>

Reply to
Mike Romain

All:

Thanks for the advice, guys! I'll give it a whack this weekend.

All best.

-- Doug Boynton

Reply to
Doug Boynton

Ok this may seem like a dumb question.. :) But when you say instrument panel do you mean where the speed odometer etc.. are or where the stereo / ac controls are?

I have pretty much taken the dash apart before to put in a stero and an alarm.. But I am trying to track down this grounding screw and I can't seem to locate where it is..

Thanks!!!

Reply to
SP