2003 cherokee...too slow idle is dropping my alternator charging circuit.

This has just started to happen to me in the past few months. While going home late with my lights and items on my jeep this happens. I'm at my first stop light before heading on the highway and I notice the idle starting to creep down it continues and sometimes it going so low all power is lost on my charging circuit. I got to give it a little throttle to recover from this. Not fun when heading home late and this can sure wake up a guy. Does anyone know a issue on the idle control sol. valve for the idle circuit having problems on the throttle body. I would think the pcm would keep idle within range of proper speed. Or is the a issue for the dealer for a flash adjustment on the program.

Please, Need a opinion on this. Thanks

Reply to
Scott S.

Scott S. did pass the time by typing:

Check and replace the unibelt, it's probably slipping or loose.

Also check the battery fluid level and the battery connections for corrosion.

Reply to
DougW

Reply to
L.W.( ßill ) Hughes III

DougW proclaimed:

After the above, check the battery itself for getting a bit tired, particularly if it is old. It may only be surface charging.

Reply to
Lon

What do you mean by "all power is lost on my charging circuit"? Do the lights go dim, or does the gauge just register low voltage? If the lights go dim, check the battery, belt, etc. like others have suggested. You can't tell the condition of a serpentine drive belt, by looking at it. It is best to replace them every couple years, 30,000 miles, or whatever interval you have confidence in.

Earle

Reply to
Earle Horton

Yes ..Goes down way low. it basically hits 9 volts..bottom of gauge. checklights comes on and all lights go dim, fan heater blower slows.. The whole 9 yards. It dont happen all the time, but enough to question why this occurs. The 2001 Jeep has only 28,000 miles. Checked the belt and its taught. Had no probs the past couple days. I think it idle circuit sometimes dont catch it some times.

Thanks guys for the advice. It check the battery tomorrow. Hope I can return the favor.

SCOTT Electrician MACK II Chrysler engine plant (3.7liter)

Reply to
Scott S.

To repeat, you can't tell by looking at it, if the belt is good or not. It has to be tight, or at least properly tensioned, but it doesn't mean you have a good belt, just because it is tight.

You can clean the idle valve and throttle body. This would be useful at least for peace of mind, and eliminating that as a source of your problem.

Earle

Reply to
Earle Horton

Ycan if it has threads hanging out of it or if it very shiny on the backside or has peices missing from the ribbed side.

this is likely the OP's issue,the Idle air control can get very dirty on a vehicle that is driven on very short trips,the engine doesn't get hot enough to burn everything away,lots of carbon builds up.

clean the throttle body and the idle air control,it would also be good to have the engine decarboned and change the spark plugs.

Reply to
TNKEV

Reply to
philthy