2003 TJ Subwoofer and speaker replacement

Hey Folks,

I just replaced the stock CD player in my TJ with a Kenwood unit and it doesn't even sound like the same truck. Even with the stock speakers it still doesn't sound bad. The main difference with the Kenwood is the bass. The stock radio was all bass, but nothing else and it now has good middle of the road everything. Being the greedy sucker that I am, I want more.

All the folks I talked to at the local stereo places said the stock sub is a joke. Has anyone ever replaced the stock sub or speakers? I think the stock sub is a 6" speaker with a separate amp.

I know from Crutchfield that the stock dash speakers are a 4"x6" 2 way unit. Has anyone managed to install 6"x9" speakers in there as I already have a good pair waiting.

The stock rollbar speakers are 5 1/4" door speakers. Once again has anyone been able to successfully install bigger ones that don't ruin the looks of the soundbar?

Knowledgeable folks ( You have actually done this ) please respond.

Thanks, Randy

Reply to
Archangel

Yep, two 10" Rockford fosgate HE2's 400watt's rms 800watt max... :-)

Reply to
Bill

I would like to keep the stock appearance and just replace what's in there with one sub that works. I have been the victim of a break-in once before and the more stock looking stereo the better. I take the faceplate off the new unit anytime I go to a concert, etc...

Thanks anyway, I bet it sounds like thunder in there..........coool Randy

Reply to
Archangel

I've seen a console advertised that can hold a sub that points back. Not sure of quailty, but its a great way to add a sub if that's what you want. PS my sub is the wind with the top down.....works like a champ! Rich

Reply to
Richard Harris

No, I don't think there's a chance in hell of using 6x9's anywhere.

The front dash speakers can be replaced with 5-1/4" round speakers, and I've even seen one guy use 6-1/2" round speakers (part of the speaker was buried in the trim, though. I think Crutchfield sells a bracket for the front speakers to take 5-1/4".

The rear pods can be replaced with 6-1/2" rounds, and poly fill will further increase the sound quality, but find the fire retardant stuff so your dome light doesn't set it on fire.

I know some people have replaced the factory sub, but can't help you there. have the Tuffy subwoofer security console and will be putting a better subwoofer in there, whatever I can fit.

Amps can be mounted under seats (unless you leave the top off and it rains, accidentally play in water, or mud), under the steering column, and behind the glove box (especially if you replace the stock with a Tuffy or equivalent security glove box.

Hope this helps, Andrew Whitley

Reply to
Andrew

Check this one out (at $499)... Skid plate not included.

Eugene Casinias

Interesting idea... definitely for your highway four wheeler.

Reply to
Richard Harris

Reply to
twaldron
4x6s in dash, preferably 4x6 plates which use a 3"-4" midrange and separate tweeter instead of the oval shaped type. Or you can use 5.25s in the dash with a special adapter plate from
Whichever you decide on, get some XTC foam baffles to go behind the dash speakers from
.

The rear will have to be 5.25s in order to use the factory grilles or you may use some 6.5s successfully and use the supplied grilles that come with them. Infinity Systems speakers work well in all positions. Also, pack the sound bar or pods (2003-04 Wranglers) with poly-fill loosely.

The center console sub is a lost cause. It uses a 6.5" sub that is specially tuned to the incredibly small enclosure. Just replacing it will most likely cause degraded sound with any other speaker unless you follow the enclosure parameters to the tee for the new driver. An Infinity Basslink works well behind the rear seat and takes up very little room. It also puts out an incredible amount of high quality bass for its size and a 200 Watt Class D amp is built into it so you want be trying to cram a separate unit under a seat somewhere. Just pull the fuse out for the center console sub if you do this. Your head-unit will drive your front and rear speakers just fine unless you want ear-bleeding loud, "11th grader" type of tunes playing.

Regards,

GK

Reply to
GK

I replaced my soundbar speakers with 6-1/2's and they still look close to factory. Look for a speaker grill that is fairly low profile like the Kappa's. My factory grills would not fit over my new speakers.

I also installed the 5-1/4 adapters on my front speakers. Install is painless. Generally sounds pretty good though to get better sound the factory sub would need to go. Problem isn't so much the speaker as it is that it is wired to the rear channel so it is difficult to get bass without it sounding muddy. I don't think you can fix this without an amp. Anyone know of any good amps that comfortably fit underneath the front seat?

You can purchase the adapters at the link below.

Reply to
Blueshirts

Check this out

Jersey