2003 Wrangler 4.0L - gas mileage

I was wondering whether anybody has tried the K&N air filter or a throttle body spacer to achieve better gas mileage with their late model Wrangler 4.0L engine?

I'm not too upset about the gas mileage I am getting, but if either or both of the devices mentioned above actually work, I'd probably go for the investment.

Anybody have accurate before/after stats on either device?

- thanks

Tom

Reply to
thomas

thomas did pass the time by typing:

Some like it, some don't. If you keep it clean and oiled properly it probably works. But some have said it lets dust in that stock filters don't.

TB spacers are utter garbage and so are the "Air Tornado" things.

The best way is to use the lowest octane fuel you can that doesn't knock, and keep a light right foot. The rest is anticipating traffic so you don't use the brakes much.

That and driving something more aerodynamic than your average brick. :)

Reply to
DougW

Reply to
David C. Moller

It's probably the winter fuel too. This always produces less MPG. BTW, what are you getting with your 2003 TJ for MPG?

Reply to
Peter Parker

My 03 Wrangler Freedom 4.0 5 Speed got 20 MPG the first tank, and is holding its own. About what I expected as my 2.5 only got 24 MPG. Harry

Reply to
Sydcattledog

My 1994 YJ got 21 MPG in July when I bought it. Now it might get 18 MPG with the winterized fuel. 193000 miles but it needs a new coolant system parts and the thermostat needs replacing. I don't want to do that until I get a new radiator, hoses and clamps. The water pump is still working but I will probably replace that too. Once that happens a new stat will build up the pressure and the operating temp which will help the ECU work out the mixture better.

Reply to
Peter Parker

My '03 Sahara is seeing about 15mpg. Now, for the most part it drives 10 miles to work daily, barely gets warmed up in the process, and is driven 'aggressively'.

I've tried to do worse and I have not seen lower than 14.5mpg.

If I religiously shift when the idiot light tells me to and press the pedal like it was an egg then I get 18mpg around town. But it's no fun to drive that way.

Last- when it first got cold out I had to switch to 89 octane to prevent p> >

Reply to
Tim Hayes

Reply to
David C. Moller

10 miles should give you enough time to warm up.

This sounds about right if you beat it.

Not really. Why do you have to shift so often? Sounds to me like you are doing city driving and not highway. That's probably your problem.

My conclusion is that you are getting exactly what city driving is supposed to give you.

I have my old 1994 window sticker here and it says City 16 and Hwy 18.

13 to 19 City and 15 to 21 Highway depending on your location and driving habits.
Reply to
Peter Parker