2004 Jeep disappointing

I owned a 95 wrangler with a stick shift for almost 9 years. It was great. A real work horse. Felt like it had some muscle. Always started out in 2nd with never a problem. Had the original clutch at 165,000 miles. Just bought a 2004 and tried to do the same thing. The 2004 keeps jumping out of 2nd gear when I start up. Has no power and sounds like marbles are rattling around in neutral. What gives. this jeep is sick. Nothing like my 95. Took it back to the dealer who said all was normal and working fine. Said I needed to start out in

1st gear. This must be a real watered down jeep now. The maintenance book said the transmission is a medium duty unit. This is real disappointing. Has anyone else been surprised at the low quality performance in the wrangler SE and sports since 95?
Reply to
TMiller782

Roy J

I'm assuming you had a 6 cyl in your existing one as you said it has some muscle. The 4 litre 6 cylinder in the 2004 is the same one that was introduced in

91, except a bit more powerful now (~200bhp/230lb ft v 180bhp/220 ) The transmission is probably an AX-15 in your 95, which was also medium duty.

OTOH, if your new one is the SE which you referred to, it only has a 2.4 litre engine ~ 55 hp down on the 4 litre, although the Sports has the 6 cyl.

disappointing. Has

Reply to
Dave Milne

My >TOH, if your new one is the SE which you referred to, it only has a 2.4

The 95 was a 4.0 liter 6 cylinder and so is the new one. The dealer said the transmision is different in the 2004. Seems the gearing is not as low. Actually where is used to use 2nd I now have to go down to first. Where I used to use 3rd I now have to go to 2nd and so forth. I've been starting the 2004 in first gear and it is slower but seeems to work better. I had a choice of axle ratios in the new car. Maybe I picked one different from the 95. Could that be the problem?>What engine and gear ratio? Most of the 6 cyl came with a

3.07

In the 95 there was plenty of power to start in 2nd so maybe I got a better axle ratio. I really am not sure what I had. I just know this is very disappointing have to shift from 1st at a crawl. Fortunately, 1st in this car does not seem as low as in the 95. How could I tell what the axle ratio is in both cars. I've sold the 95 but could still contact the new owner. I'm real curious why this is so different.

Reply to
TMiller782

I have an '03 Sport 5 speed- all stock- (whimper, whine) with the D44 and 3:73 gears. I can start out in 2nd but don't really like to feather the clutch that much even if on a flat surface. You can definitely tell it wasn't intended to start out in 2nd. I've put about 44K miles on it so far and I'll be putting 31x10.50 tires (BFG AT KO's or B'stone Dueller AT REVO's $$) on it soon and I KNOW I won't be starting out in 2nd with those... I too notice an unusual amount of "throwout" noise in neutral with the clutch out. I asked the stealership about it and I got the same answer you did- "it's normal"... Well, so far there haven't been any issues, but in my opinion, noise=wear. And I've never had any problems with it "jumping" out of gear- that sounds nasty!

Reply to
John R

Reply to
Matt Macchiarolo

Sorry about that first post, your post sounded somewhat trolly, no offense intended.

Sounds to me you got a taller final drive ratio, than the YJ had. The NVG3550 in your '04 actually has a lower first gear than the AX15.

Unfortunately that neutral rattle is standard equipment with the NVG tranny...

Reply to
Matt Macchiarolo