2004 jeep liberty "low fuel warning" indicator

How many gallons of gas are there left in the tank when the "low fuel warning" light goes on? (The fuel-tank capacity is 19.5 gallons).

Reply to
gary

It should tell you in your owner's manual. Probabaly only about 2.5 - why risk it? Try running on the TOP half of the tank instead of the bottom half.

Kate

Reply to
Kate

In my WJ you have about 7.5 miles..... half way home on a dark and rainy night..... Guess how I know....

Reply to
billy ray

Heck, on my *XJ* the light comes on at 1/4 tank!! I know I'm about to run dry when the engine sputters during a left hand turn :o

When I first started driving (oh sooo many years ago), I was told to do this (keep the tank full) to keep RUST from forming in the tank. I've never really practiced this faithfully, and I've never had any problems (AFAIK).

(snip)

noneofyourbusiness

I let the ZJ get too low once coming home from a long road trip. Any slowing down would stall the engine. i.e. someone cutting in front of me.

From that point on I keep at least 1/2 tank.

Reply to
DougW

DougW proclaimed:

Yeah, got too busy ONCE and let the "pedestrian light" [1] come on. Almost made it to the one 76 station on that side of the freeway. From the time the light flickered until it ran out was less than 3 miles.

[1] warning you are about to become one.
Reply to
Lon

Pulled into a gas station late one 1967 evening after hitting the local rock club. Asked the pump jock to pump one gallon. Paid with a quarter and got 6 cents change. Ahhh when I was 18.

Reply to
QX

Good grief, I've got 30 miles or more left when the one in my XJ comes on!

Jeff DeWitt

Reply to
Jeffrey DeWitt

Yeah, not sure what is wrong with mine, as I figured I could easily make it to the gas stations only about 11 miles away. Stupid move really, just kept forgetting to fill the thing since I do normally run only off the top half. Luckily it was a short walk and the station was willing to loan a can.

Reply to
Lon

This is an excuse to buy one of those cool-looking racks to hold a jerry can.

Earle

Reply to
Earle Horton

"Earle Horton" wrote

Oh Oh Oh!! Good idea!!!

Reply to
Kate

In 110K miles on my 96 Cherokee I've only seen that light come on one time and it scared me to death. The dealer told me when I purchased it that the warning light and gauge on the jeeps are very un-faithful, so I don't intentionally let it get low. RM~

Reply to
Rob Mills

The "official" answer from

"Your vehicle is equipped with a 19.5 gallon fuel tank. The low fuel warning light will come on when the tank is at 12.5% of it's capacity, which is 2.4375 gallons of fuel".

Reply to
gary

Which is by Murpeys Law, at least one more gallon away from the closest gas station. :)

Reply to
DougW

In the wifes 97 TJ it comes on with 3.5-4 gallons left. Tested many times :). If you assume it takes .5-1 gal just to reach the pickup tube, not accounting for hills, turns etc.. I still have at least 50 mi when the light comes on. I haven't been stranded yet, but I have put in 18 gallons.

Lurch

DougW wrote:

Reply to
Eric Karr