2004 JGC 4wd NOT for dirt, per dealer

What is going on with Chrysler selling Jeeps?

I own a 2004 4wd Jeep Grand Cherokee, Limited Edition.

Last night my engine warning light came on (47,056 mi.). I took the Jeep into my dealer, Don-A-Vee, Placentia, CA to have it repaired. The problem was a faulty Evaporative Pump and the repairs are covered by California Emissions Warranty. However, the charcoal canister is not and will cost $316 to replace.

I was warned that the reason for the failure and need to replace the canister was caused by mud collecting in the wheel well area. This is where Jeep placed the units. Pray tell, why design a vehicle for off-road use and place a critical item in the way? BTW, my "off-road" driving is in the High Desert of California, on SB Co. roads. No boon dogging, or such, just driving to and from my home.

I have found this series of Jeep to be a high maintenance item, from routine service to parts. I warn anyone wanting a JGC, to check out the running costs vs. other manufacturers. I just bought my wife a 2005 4wd Hyundai Tucson and maintenance costs are extremely lower.

Dick.

Reply to
amej

L.W.( ßill ) Hughes III

Thanks a lot! Where were you when I bought the car?

The salesman did not disclose the bumper to bumper warrantee. We bought the one he mentioned, which is a lessor extended warrantee. Let the buyer beware!

BTW, I'm telling this group so no one will get stuck with another dependent.

BTW, how can God Bless America when we have so many traitors in our Congress? (God Bless You!)

Reply to
amej

In article , wrote: #Thanks a lot! Where were you when I bought the car? # #The salesman did not disclose the bumper to bumper warrantee. We bought the #one he mentioned, which is a lessor extended warrantee. Let the buyer #beware! # #BTW, I'm telling this group so no one will get stuck with another dependent. # #BTW, how can God Bless America when we have so many traitors in our #Congress? #(God Bless You!)

The bumper to bumper, seven year, seventy thousand mile warrantee comes with the car when you buy it and is fully transferable to new owners. Anything that you buy from Chrysler should be on top of that warrantee (like, say, extending it to ten years and one hundred thousand miles or somesuch).

/herb

Reply to
Herb Leong

Reply to
L.W.( ßill ) Hughes III

Bill,

Now that I think about it, was the 7/70000 number for just the powertrain?

/herb

In article , L.W.(ßill) Hughes III wrote: # Thanks you, I was beginning to think the salesman slipped one over #on me, when they said was free. # God Bless America, Bill O|||||||O #mailto: snipped-for-privacy@aol.com

#Herb Leong wrote: #> #> The bumper to bumper, seven year, seventy thousand mile warrantee #> comes with the car when you buy it and is fully transferable to #> new owners. Anything that you buy from Chrysler should be on top #> of that warrantee (like, say, extending it to ten years and one #> hundred thousand miles or somesuch). #> #> /herb

Reply to
Herb Leong

I used to plug up the $2.00 'air filter' on the bottom of my canister almost every time I went out to play in the mud. It can be washed or replaced on my Jeep.

I moved mine up higher anyway so I don't have to clean it as often. Pulling the first filter out took a hammer and chisel, the new ones just tuck in.

I do not know how bad they butchered the GC one, but for $316.00 I sure as heck would be pulling it off and washing the mud off the filter and be doing my damnedest to get the old one out.

Mike

Mike Romain

Lease vehicles do not carry the warrantee. Buying a 2 year old Jeep from DC is "as is", as I found out when I bought my Cherokee.

Reply to
jeff

I agree with you. That is exactly what I told the Service Rep at the dealer.

I am still confused about the warranty: Bumper-to-bumper. Does this apply to the 2004 JGC? I know my partner had a problem with his Wrangler when he had to have the bolts replaced on his engine plate.

Thanks for all of your comments. It still looks like a dark world....

Dick.

Reply to
amej

Me thinks you are wrong! Sure the new (2005) JGC's are built on a car frame.

MY 2004 still had a more rugged frame. What you define as "non-paved surfaces" sound like you are mountaineering, not just going home for the night, or to the Post Office. Goggle a satellite view of the Victorville area, you might be surprised!

I also wanted to flag my problem to see if this has happened to someone else. If no one has had mud in the rear wheel wells, or have had a canister failure, then I am alone... I can clean it; replace the activated charcoal, or make one, if necessary! A key to my problem, is that I am still going to my urban dealer and not the dealer in the desert area (Victorville). I'm just in Anaheim to work out of my home before it is sold. If I don't work, I cannot pay DC the big bucks for maintenance.

Dick.

Reply to
amej

I would try another dealership for warranty coverage on this emissions part.... assuming you are still within the warranty period.

Reply to
billy ray

If it is stuffed under the rear wheel well, they must have some type of cleanable filter on them, nothing else would make much sense. Even just hosing the sucker down and it should be ok to go....

The one they put on the CJ's and YJ's was at the bottom of the freakin front wheel well and plugged up with mud easy. The second and subsequent filters aren't hard to change...

In the OP case, the fresh air intake is just blocked by the sounds of it, the charcoal is still fine likely.

Mike

billy ray wrote:

Reply to
Mike Romain

Reply to
philthy

I have the 3 pages from the WJ manual. After looking at them I am wondering just how he managed to cause this damage as it seems well protected.

Reply to
billy ray

Mud, my lad!

My 2004 GC has the evap pump and canister mounted behind the rear wheel well under the gas filler. There is a bracket holding the pump and canister,

but is open (several inches) to the open space of the wheel well. The mud flap (I installed) and the area is covered with mud. This was caused by the county road crew watering down the local dirt road while they were grading it. However, I expect mud, snow and other debris to accumulate in the area.

Do you want pictures?

Dick.

Reply to
amej

Tell it to this dealer!!

Reply to
amej

It seems to me, that you have a warranted part, which is not resistant to normally expected ambient conditions. This sounds like a case for Judge Judy.

Earle

Reply to
Earle Horton

Yes it is Herb. You buy the add on warranty to extend coverage to other parts of the vehicle. Not bumper to bumper but it will cover most of the other stuff that is not on the factory warranty.

The 7-70 is the reason we got the 05 instead of the 06.

KJK

: #> The bumper to bumper, seven year, seventy thousand mile warrantee : #> comes with the car when you buy it and is fully transferable to : #> new owners. Anything that you buy from Chrysler should be on top : #> of that warrantee (like, say, extending it to ten years and one : #> hundred thousand miles or somesuch). : #>

: #> /herb : :

Reply to
KJ.Kate

Really!!?? No f-ing wonder I never bought DC products in the past. The more I learn about them, the more insecure I feel about their way of doing business.

KJK

Reply to
KJ.Kate

I think it has more to do with the dealerships, which actuall sell the cars, not the manufacturer...that said, my closest Chrysler dealership has really turned into a bunch of bottom-feeding parasites.

Reply to
Matt Macchiarolo