2004 Wrangler Rubicon Drive Train Noise

2004 Rubicon, automatic transmission.

I have a 'clunk' in my drive when moving slowly down a rough trail. The dealer in Yuma said this was just the drive train loading and unloading.

For example, Woodcutter near Yuma, AZ. This trail has lots of 10-20 inch rocks.

Here is the situation,

normal operating temperature. 4-low unlocked 1st gear semi-level spot on the trail approx 1200 RPM - constant

As momentum shifts from pulling to hold back, I hear a loud , metal-on-metal?, clunk. I thought and later verified this was below the driver.

I find I can duplicate this at rest. My friend put his head under the vehicle and lived thru it!

normal operating temperature 4-low foot on brake - do not allow vehicle to move neutral

shift into drive. The vehicle strains forward and seems to want to tilt slightly to the right.

shift into neutral. There is a loud, for me, clunk in the transmission/transfer case.

This repeats every time.

Can anyone duplicate this? Do any vehicles NOT do this?

tomdean

Reply to
Thomas D. Dean

metal-on-metal?,

transmission/transfer

If you have a 7 speaker system turn up the volume till you can't hear anything else or wear ear plugs.

Reply to
HarryS