2005 Grand Cherokee Hemi bucks and vibrates!

I have 300 miles on my '05 Grand Cherokee with the Hemi. It is hard to pin point but it does not run right, while at steady speed with a little throttle it bucks and thrusts. Also it vibrates. I have not taken it to the dealer yet, maybe tomorrow. I am a heavy equipment mechanic, so I know it is not right. No DTCs are logged. I hate starting this process with the service manager! I also have an '04 Grand Cherokee Freedom with 4.0L it's drivetrain is way smoother! Wish me luck! Joe

Reply to
Joe

You don't seem to be the only one with this issue. Read the thread on the New GC with hemi.

Sorry to say it sounds like the 'hemi' with it's whacked out 8, 4 ignition is just as bad an abortion as the GM's old 8, 6, 4 engine.

It is 'supposed' to be better because electronic are faster and they hired better mathematicians according to one article:

Mike

Joe wrote:

Reply to
Mike Romain

Reply to
L.W.(ßill) Hughes III

Joe did pass the time by typing:

After reading about the 05 hemi I'm tempted to move to the BMW or the new LandRover. If your after a smooth power band the BMW is simply astounding. I could not feel any transmission shifting at all, just power coming on. Plus the fit and finish on both the Landy and BMW was better than the 05 Grand.

Reply to
DougW

Remember the BMW doesn't have a transfer box.

Dave Milne

DougW proclaimed:

Before you head for the 4.4 Jag engined LR3, wait and see what the turboJag engine in the next gen Range Rover has to offer. Presuming of course your skill at lottery tickets improves.

Reply to
Lon

I just want this thing fixed. It is my 5th new Jeep I've always had good luck with them. We shall see what the dealer says. '86 xj. '94 zj, '98xj, '04wj, '05wk.

Reply to
Joe

saw this post in the Mustang group.....

I took delivery of a 2005 GC Limited w/ HEMI(R) MDS. I am not pleased and not sure i want to fight it out with the dealer and chrysler or not.

Upon leaving the dealer: engine light came on and stayed on. Hesitation during normal exceleration. Dealer kept truck for 1.5 days and had the hole top of the motor apart and the chrsyler engineers on the phone. They chalked it up to a chafed wire connected to the MDS system. well i got my new jeep back and im very very upset.

yes it has monster power but it has these hesitations throughout exceleration that drive me nuts. They are not obvious jerk u back and forth hesitations. They are an unevenness in applyed power through exceleration. I HATE it. makes me feel like its not put together correctly. My wif has an escalade with a 345hp engine that is smooth as silk through power application. My HEMI is more like a 2 stroke kawasaki as it has high spots and low spots in power application from

1700 all the way up through 4000rps. I'm sorry guys im sure my terminoligy is not the best. I'm bummed. I love the truck. just started searching the groups to see if anyone else has the same problem.
Reply to
Joe

Do you have lemon laws? You are still under warrantee and should keep taking it to the stealership....after X amount of times back you should ask them to take it back and give you a new one. Bring your lawyers business card with the hotline for the Better Business Bureau on the back! haha

Reply to
SteveBrady

Just a question.

What fuel is required for the new Hemi, and what fuel do you have in it?

Reply to
Mark12211
89 octane, and I put 89 octane twice from two different stations just in case. Sunoco being one of them. I called the dealer, it is going in Tuesday at 8:00am. He said he never heard of this problem yet, but lets see what we can do. I'll post the results soon. Joe

Reply to
Joe

Isn't that motor supposed to take 91 Octane.

also you could ask if they could disable that 4 cylinder thing. To see if that's it.

Good luck. I know exactly how you feel. Stay calm.

Reply to
mswlogo

Well I brought it back, of course it barely bucked for the tech. He checked for DTCs, nothing was logged. The Service Manager told us to try another Jeep with the Hemi. We did and it felt the same, it bucked a little. Maybe it is a trait of full time 4x4 and a big engine? Like the tech said, "You can't take the whole thing apart looking for something". Time will tell. Joe

Reply to
Joe

Reply to
mic canic

Reply to
mic canic

Reply to
Joe

Boy, just wait till the drive train gets some (more) slop in it, then!

-jeff

Reply to
Handywired