2005 Grand Cherokee Oil Change, 4.7L

Hey guys, New owner of an '05 after 4 years with a 2003. Planning on doing the first oil change this weekend so I decided to slide under to find if the oil filter location had changed, which it had. I also noticed the addition of a large dust/debris protective plate on the underside. My question; it appears that if I remove the filter there is a high likelyhood of making a complete mess with dripping oil onto the nearby hoses and the large protective underplate itself. I know its only oil but if I can avoid messing up my garage things would be better.

I've also noticed that it is a pretty tight fit for me to get underneath without a lift/jack.....appears to be a couple inches lower than the '03.

Thanks in advance,

dionne51

Reply to
dionne51

Best suggestion anyone ever gave me was to break the filter free, then cover it with a plastic bag (I use accumulated grocery bags). Hold it up where it will catch any drips. The filter comes off inside the bag and no spills or oil running up your sleeve.

Reply to
Will Honea

Sometimes the simplest ideas are the best. Great tip, thanks.

Reply to
dionne51

Good tip.

I use the bottom of a plastic container (cut off cat litter bottle) that sits perfectly under the filter. I just spin the filter off, turn it right side up, and remove them both at the same time.

Some times I miss the old chevy where the filter stood straight up.

Reply to
DougW

Great idea.

Carl

Reply to
Carl S

I like that one; good tip, thanks!

Reply to
Outatime

If you plan on keeping the vehicle for several years, I would consider modifying the offending metal plate. Doubtful it actually serves any purpose other than to impress the uninitiated if they peek underneath before buying!

Reply to
Highcountry

Reply to
philthy

You should compare that to the new Mustang V-6, the Ford has it in the open! I could change it from the TOP!

Reply to
Highcountry