2005 Grand Cherokee Opinion

Pictures - site is slow as hell (modem, I guess)

What a piece of crap. I have a 2001 Limited and hoped for some nicer and better updates, now this:

Instrument cluster looks terrible no wooden inlays on steering wheel? shitty zebrano wood that nobody wanted in 1999 and 2000? (why try that garbage wood again?) seat adjuster still on the low side of the seat (where you can't get to it) old wheel design we already have (way to small) only ONE exhaust tip on the 5.7ltr.? (piss-poor design) they don't even give it a HEMI badge? and again, black mirrors on a Limited? (does paint really cost that much?) black shifter with grey steering wheel? (fire the designers; better shoot them dead) no more wood on the doors? (you got to be kidding) yes, there are small storage areas in the dash (if you hit the gas, the stuff jumps right out) still no room for the right foot (on long trips your right leg starts hurting like hell) some chrome here but not there (inside and outside) (no consistency in the design) window chrome only at the bottom? (looks like an afterthought)

Man, I am really pissed, now I have to find something else to buy in November! There's NO WAY that I will get this -- thing!!!

I call this a facelift; a really bad one. Opinions, please...

Reply to
Be Nice

Be Nice did pass the time by typing:

wget is your friend. :)

Looks like they stole the BMW headlamps.

Sad.

Only thing it's missing is a set of 28" rims with spinners and phat rubber.

Gimme aluminum or carbon fiber. If I wanted wood I'd buy a Mercedes or a BMW.

Just one tiny piece of chromed trim. Yea... I LOVE the plastic sideskirts on the ZJ. Best defense against moronic car owners ever invented. That and the occasional branch/rock. :)

.. I was waiting to buy one of these but seriously folks it may as well be the BMW. ..

Perhapse my opinion will change once I see one of these in person. But a nice used 2004 is looking better and better.

Reply to
DougW

Yup, looks terrible...very much like that Volvo SUV thingy I saw at the mall the other day....

Reply to
Joseph P

Joseph P did pass the time by typing:

Get this.. Finally looked at all the pictures.

No water temp or oil pressure gauge. Unless they went digital.

Reply to
DougW

You are right, missing gauges too!

Reply to
Be Nice

Chad Fraker did pass the time by typing:

Mixed emotions on that.

On one hand that means a less rugged front axle, but on the other, no deathwobble.

Reply to
DougW

Reply to
L.W.(ßill)

It is a shame. no more color coordinating the window buttons, they are all black now no more lights in the doors no more fold down rear neck rests, now you have to remove them call it a redesign and use the old wheels no more color coordinating the interior, steering wheel and shifter are different less gages in the dash

I WILL NOT BUY (LEASE) a new one again If Jeep thinks they can get away this, good luck they lost my business for good

Reply to
Be Nice

No surprise that Jeep is going with IFS in the Grand Cherokee. After all, the vast majority of these vehicles will never leave the paved road. The biggest reason that most people buy the Grand Cherokee instead of an Explorer, Durango, or Trailblazer is styling. It's certainly not off road capability. IMO, the Grand never was a 'real Jeep' due to its lack of a manual transmission.

Best regards, Dave Rose Cactus Cowboy Big Wonderful Wyoming '49 Willys Pickup (parts truck) '62 Willys Pickup 4WD 226 '98 XJ Sport O|||||||O

Reply to
cactuscowboy

1993-1995 it was available with a 5 speed
Reply to
Mark12211

I guess the thing that disappointed me was the IFS.

Chad Fraker

I also think Jeep made a mistake; I like the WJ but I would never buy one of these.

What is the closest vehicle currently in production to the XJ, ZJ, and WJ in terms of size and capability? The Nissan Xterra comes to mind immediately, even though it looks radically different. It also doesn't have factory oil/volt gauges, but these would be easy to add.

Reply to
Monte Castleman

I've only owned a Jeep for a few years, and it's just a 1991 Cherokee, so I don't want to come across as trying to be a defender of the True Jeep Faith or anything, but the answer seems obvious - this isn't meant to be a JEEP, per se - it's a "WK". Something else altogether. An alternative for DC customers who think the Durango has become a bloated, grotesque-looking SUV/van crossover, but still want the Hemi engine. Very disappointing - maybe I'm out of my depth here, but my dream vehicle from Jeep would be a resurrection of the mid-90's Cherokee with Dana 44 axles and the Hemi mill. Although the 4-litre six is still a great engine anyway. It's sad to see where Jeep seems to be headed - check John Cappa's comments regarding the hideous and weirdly-conceived Treo concept vehicle in the April Jp magazine.

John Thompson

Reply to
John Thompson

Range Rover, which is easily better (but prolly costs more) ?

Dave Milne