2006 TJ Serpentine Belt Screeching?

My 2006 TJ is making a screeching noise when it is cold. It has the S6 4L with the automatic tensioner pulley. I am assuming it is the belt, but it looks ok -- maybe a little glazed, but not too bad. Has my tensioner gone soft? Or is the noise something else all together like a bad bearing in one of the pulleys?

Chris KQ6UP

Reply to
Chris Maness

I had the same problem, it appeared to be an idler pulley I found it by spraying some wd40 in it (I always though they were sealed) and it stopped the screeching for a bit , but soon became a lot louder and continuous. (it was on a grand cherokee though)

Reply to
csdude

What idler was it?

Chris

Reply to
Chris

Well, it was a while ago (on an I6) it was on the driver side.

but it's easy to find which one it is, squirt some wd40 in one from the back. if the screeching steps, it's the one, if not, try another one

Reply to
csdude

e:

Thanks. I just did not want to waste my money on a new belt when it was some other issue. I will definitely try the trick before spending money on a new belt.

Chris

Reply to
Chris

ote:

you can check to see if the belt is not too loose (I believe your year engine has a tensioner, so it shouldn't be too loose, unless it's broken)

however, I remember that 'metallic screeching' and it was a worn out bearing in an idler pulley in my case

Reply to
csdude

Yes, it does have a metallic sound to it, so it is probably the pulley bearing.

Chris

Reply to
Chris

Yes, it does have a metallic sound to it, so it is probably the pulley bearing.

Chris

-- -- -- -- -- -- -- Remember also that there is no way to tell that a serpentine belt is good or bad from appearance, unless of course it is full of cracks or laying in your driveway. If it is past the recommended interval or what you are comfortable with, replace it.

Earle

Reply to
Earle Horton

asnews: snipped-for-privacy@r15g2000prh.googlegroups.com...

Yep, just replaced my 04 TJ and da wifes 04 WJ this past weekend. Mine was full of cracks and shinny da wifes was glazed and made some more noise than mine. I ended buying a Gates replacement at the local parts store. It appears to be better than the OEM. Coasty

Reply to
coasty

Had a similar problem last year. Replaced idler pulley, no joy. Started to suspect water pump was screeching, but it was only about a year old at the time. Re-retensioned the belt a couple of times, no joy. Belt looked fine, but replaced it with a Goodyear Gatorback before tearing out the water pump, and the problem completely disappeared.

S.

Reply to
fraserwag

When serp belts start squealing be sure to check the harmonic balance and make sure it's not walking. The rubber isolator will give way eventually.

A quick check for alignment is to tap a bar of soap against the belt edge while it's running. If the squealing stops you have an alignment issue somewhere.

Reply to
DougW

Reply to
Glenn news