2006 Wrangler Unlimited Hitch Installation

I am going to insall a Class III hitch on my 2006 Unlimited, and I have several options. I can either install the Mopar hitch, whose towing capacity is 3,500 lbs with a 350 lb tongue weight, or a Curt hitch that has 400 lbs tongue and 4000 lbs capacity.

I know the Curt hitch requires no special drilling to install. However, I don't know if I can install the Mopar hitch by myself. Anybody know if I can do it myself with the Mopar hitch?

Also, what options for wiring do I have? I have seen differing opinions about whether I can use the 4-pin Mopar wiring harness on my Unlimited. Some sites say I can use it, some say I MUST use the more expensive 7-pin harness. Which is right?

I only need the 4-pin unit, but if I have to use the 7 pin, I will.

Thanks

Reply to
jmcgill

philthy

The Curt hitch might have a 4,000# capacity but your vehicle's maximum towing capacity is 3,500#

You would need the 7-pin harness only if you are towing a trailer with electric brakes. If a trailer has electric brakes it will likely be too big for the vehicle to tow anyway.

Reply to
Matt Macchiarolo

Warn will sell you a Bumper with a two inch receiver, of course it's not a class III, but you could put a class III ball on it and fool a few of the people that would buy a ricer:

I wouldthen go to your local parts store and buy the wire adapter that just plugsinto the stock harness, like:
The Moparhitch I've seen for your car will the smallest 1 1/4" receiver on it. God Bless America, Bill 0|||||||0mailto: snipped-for-privacy@aol.com

L.W. (Bill) Hughes III