258 Weight?

Anybody know the weight of my 258?

I am getting ready to pull it, but don't want to have to go pick my buddies huge engine hoist, and have it in my garage for an extended period of time. I thought it might be easier to use a hand winch or come-along from the rafters. But I'm afraid the engine weight might be too much for the rafters.

Any suggestions?

Reply to
Kevin S.

Engine hoist & stand.

We moved mine, once, by hand. Took three of us, AWKWARD! Had to sit in three tires, til I got the stand.

Engine hoist & stand.

Reply to
Jeepers

This guy says that the AMC 258 weighs about a quarter ton:

Which sound about right if, for comparison, the last AMC I4 weighed a bit over 300 pounds with basic accessories.

Don't collapse your garage. Get the hoist, get a honkin' huge engine stand if you've got to work on the block. The 258 will bend a run-of-the-mill consumer-grade (as in "I'll spend under $100 and then never use it again") engine stand like it was made of butter -- this would be the voice of personal experience talkin' here. If you don't have to work on it, cobble up an engine cart out of scrap 2x4s and put 200#-rated castors under it, so you can wheel it out of the way and release your bud's hoist.

Reply to
Lee Ayrton

Thanks guys. I'm gonna go ahead and play it safe and use the hoist.

My buddy said I can leave it outside while it's not >

Reply to
Kevin S.

What state?

Reply to
Jeepers

CO

I think I might have a friend that can loan me one though. Why you got one for sale?

Reply to
Kevin S.

I have one. In South Texas. Held my 258 for a l o n g time:

You wanna come get it? I'm 5.5 hours south of Dallas. 1.5 hours south of San Antonio, 1.5 hours north of Corpus Christi.

Reply to
Jeepers

I have one you could have but the postage from Canada would probably be more than the cost of a crate motor!

-Brian

: > > My buddy said I can leave it outside while it's not in use. He probably : > > just wants it out of the garage since he's getting ready to move. Now I : > > just need an engine stand. : >

: > What state? : :

Reply to
Cherokee-LTD

Timing is everything ;-) I just had a buddy who is a trucker go pick up a load in Dallas last week.

I think I can find one around here fairly easy. Lots of jeepin' buddies to borrow from.

Reply to
Kevin S.

I once drove from San Antonio to Denver in 16 hours.

You could get it and be back in 32 hours! ;^)

The gas would cost about the same as having one mailed from Canada!

Reply to
Jeepers