2in XJ Old Man Emu questions

Have a 96 4.0 XJ Sport.

I will be ordering a OME 2in suspension lift shortly, have done alot of research online and found a few questions i can't get a consistant answer on.

  1. Do the heavy duty springs have the same comfortable spring rate as the standard ones? Have seen posting claiming they are just a hair longer and with the 4.0 weight if you want to get full 2" get the heavy duty version? Could this be true?

  1. Found postings and blogs that people have had problems with 31" tires rubbing control arms and or flexing too much and hitting wheel wells? True? 30" be easier?

  2. Have seen postings where no drive line vibrations issues have been found? True or will i have to shim the rear to get proper driveline alignment? in some cases the transfercase lowering kit need not be installed?

lastly if anyone has the heavy duty kit do you need EMU heavy duty shocks too? Find the ride comfortable?

If anyone has any input or advice related or unrealated to my questions i would appreciate it greatly.

-Bman

Reply to
bman

I have OME 2.5"on a YJ ( this is their 'heavy duty' setup which will carry more weight... ie winch, roof rack, etc) and can offer the following (replies in text below):

Heavy Duty springs are designed to carry more weight and will have a 'stiffer' ride than standard. The actual amount of lift is dependent on the weight that it is carrying.

On my YJ (w/ the heavy duty 2.5") I squeezed in 33 x 9.5's - if I was doing alot a fast baja'n I would go back to 31's.

It was recommended to use the T-case lowering kit, and I did - no problemo !

Yes, I have the heavy duty shocks also. "Ride comfortable?" well this OME set up is in a short wheel based YJ, it did improve the ride quality, so I would suspect that on an XJ it would be most enjoyable plus a little taller :-)

good luck paul

Reply to
paul

Go to NAXJA.org and do a search - there is more XJ info there than you can read in a week.

My understanding is that the HD springs will get you slightly more lift on a plain vehicle, but they're really designed to provide the same lift (and ride quality) with a heavier load, such as those OME bumpers that weigh so much.

From what I've read, you probably wouldn't have vibe issues with a 2" lift on a '96. Of course, YMMV. I can't say whether shims or the transfer case lowering kit would be better - maybe someone else can.

Brian

I had a 2" on another XJ a long time ago. I would not go with a full 2" kit, as it will not be enough. I find the stock ride of an XJ to be pretty plush. If all you want is 2", go with a budget boost (2" spacer up front, and .5" block and 1.5" shackle for the rear). This can be had for $150 from

A 2" OME kit is very expensive, and in the long run, most XJ owners aren't satisfied with a 2". A YJ/CJ owner can get away with a

2.5" b/c they can run 33's with that, but an XJ.. 2" just isn't enough.

If you want all new springs, my advice is to go with a 3.5" Rubicon kit. You can get the 3.5 Super-ride kit for $604 including shocks from

.That includes new rear springs. It rides very well and will clear a 31" tire very well. You may need a 1" t-case drop.

You can see how it looks installed at that link on the green XJ and the red XJ. No driveline vibes at 70mph on either, with 1" t-case drop. Red on was a '91, Green one is a 2000. Both with NP242.

As always, YMMV.

Carl

Reply to
Carl S

BTW, a 2" will most likey not clear an XJ with 31's. I have pics of my '89 with a 2" on 30's. They barely fit when stuffed.

Carl

Reply to
Carl S