4.0 liter

I just bought a parts donor XJ, and it has what is supposedly a "remanufactured" engine with low miles. When I attempt to crank it, it will fire, run VERY poorly and quit. It seems that the timing is way off. So here is what I know:

  1. Plug wires are right.
  2. Distributer is approximately right.
  3. Ignition parts are new

Heres what I am thinking:

  1. Maybe it never really was right - (Seller lied about it running in previous jeep?)
  2. Maybe the engine doesn't match the '88 modules and sensors (Did OBDII change crank sensor location or flywheel?)
  3. Maybe the cam timing was put together wrong.
  4. Is there some way the shadetree got the flywheel on wrong?

I will check spark timing with the light, as soon as I figure out which of my worthless friends borrowed my timing light. ANY IDEAS???

Reply to
sparenzap

The 88 has the renix computer system. After 91 or so they changed to the Chrysler system. Not much is compatible between them....

Mike

86/00 CJ7 Laredo, 33x9.5 BFG Muds, 'glass nose to tail in '00 88 Cherokee 235 BFG AT's Canadian Off Road Trips Photos: N>
Reply to
Mike Romain