4" Lift Jeep TJ

Hey all,

Wondering how much drive line vibration I am going to encounter with a

4" short arm lift. I am looking to install myself in the next few weeks and want to know if the SYE is essential. I mean essential. I have the transfer case dropped for a 2" lift and get zero vibration will the extra two inches create unbearable vibration. If so will it eventually wear the pinion bearing out or ruin the u-joints?

Doubt that it matters but I will be running 33" tires.

Any advise is well appreciated!

Thanks in advance!

Reply to
jim9731

Well, if you wait a couple of weeks, I will have had my 4.5" lift installed into my XJ by then and will be able to tell you MY results.

But it's my understanding that a SYE would be a good thing to have, since you cant run with the rear drive shaft out w/o one, and a longer drive shaft is supposedly a good thing too.

Counting the days 'till I get the last of my lift parts!

noneofyourbusiness

What kind of Jeep do you have?

If you neede a 2" drop for a 2" lift, that is strong indication that you will need an SYE. Many jeeps don't get the vibration with only a

2" lift. That being said, a lot of local jeepers run 4" lifts with a TC drop and seem do do fine, so it might work. It's like most Jeep mods, you have to try them on your Jeep to see if they work for you.
Reply to
nrs

Sorry, just noticed you said TJ in the title.

Reply to
nrs

Hey!

I put a 4" Rough Country on my TJ a few months ago. Including a transfer case drop that came with it.

At first I had a wee bit of vibration but after some adjustng of the angles on the axels, it's gone now. Could be we just let them roll a little too much while wrestling it in, so just keep an eye on things.

How much of a drop do you have on your transfer case now?

OH, we did install the long arm, and had to take it back off. Sometimes you need it, sometimes you don't, I didn't.

Kate

2O|||||||O6 Rubicon, 4" Rough Country X lift, Warn M8000, Carr Rota and a six pack, MTR 33" Muds an some pretty spiffy wheels to hold em on, Custom rock rails and skids and some other stuff I can't think of! I posted a photo this morning on alt.binaries.pictures.autos.4x4

Wondering how much drive line vibration I am going to encounter with a

4" short arm lift. I am looking to install myself in the next few weeks and want to know if the SYE is essential. I mean essential. I have the transfer case dropped for a 2" lift and get zero vibration will the extra two inches create unbearable vibration. If so will it eventually wear the pinion bearing out or ruin the u-joints?

Doubt that it matters but I will be running 33" tires.

Any advise is well appreciated!

Thanks in advance!

Reply to
Kate

Thanks everyone! If you are interested my kit should be in by the weeks end! Really looking forward to installing it.

A bit more information. I did order a pinion angle adjustment kit from Trailmaster and was looking to install that. We will see if it works. It looks like it may be a waste of money $30.00 for two bolts and 4 or 6 washers. Should be interesting.

Reply to
jim9731

Your TJ is a Rubicon, which doesn't have a slip yoke, and has a CV rear driveshaft from the factory. Different configuration than a normal TJ.

Bill Spiliotopoulos, '06 TJ '96 XJ.

Reply to
Bill Spiliotopoulos

To install the pinion angle adjustment kit, you will have to make the holes on the arms oval. This is not very easy. Those holes are semi-stamped oval from the factory supposedly to be able to be broken-off but it is usually easier to grind them oval with a burring drill. For the rears this is best done when the rear springs and wheels are removed to have more space. A much better way to set the pinion angles is to get adjustable arms with the lift kit.

4" of lift, means that the distance from the pinion to the transfer case is increased, and the slip yoke will be expanded. It will reach the end of it's travel before the rear suspension reaches the end of it's travel. This could cause damage. You should not off-road hard without a SYE kit and a longer rear driveshaft till you can afford them.

Bill Spiliotopoulos, '06 TJ, '96 XJ.

Reply to
Bill Spiliotopoulos

Great information Bill! Thanks.

I did get adjustable arms for this reason. So hopefully I can build up in stages. 4" lift, then the SYE then ?????

I am not planning on serious off roading just yet. Heck, I am not planning to have the TJ road ready for at least 2 more months after I dial in all the suspension adjustments. At least I can take my time and not rush this.

Reply to
jim9731

[snip]

Er..I thought a Long Arm suspension was something one WANTED or didn't want (if you were into rock crawling for example), not "needed or didn't need"??

noneofyourbusiness

That is for adjusting the pinion angles on a coil spring isn't it? We use shims on leaf springs, you need linger control arms.

Mike

86/00 CJ7 Laredo, 33x9.5 BFG Muds, 'glass nose to tail in '00 'New' frame in the works for '08. Some Canadian Bush Trip and Build Photos:
Mike Romain

Bill Spiliotopoulos, '06 TJ '96 XJ.

*EHM!* You saying my Jeep ain't NORMAL????

C'mere so I can poke you ;¬?

K.

Reply to
Kate

"noneofyourbusiness" wrote

[snip]

Er..I thought a Long Arm suspension was something one WANTED or didn't want (if you were into rock crawling for example), not "needed or didn't need"??

Ok, I MAY be saying the wrong thing here. By long arm, ... ok ok... wait for it.... NEVER type with Ron Bacardi as your sidekick.. ok.

I was thinking of the longer steering arm.

Like Lily Tomlin used to say NEVER MIND!

(gawd, I feel like SUCH an idiot!)

Kate

"Mike Romain" wrote

That is for adjusting the pinion angles on a coil spring isn't it? We use shims on leaf springs, you need linger control arms.

Mike

86/00 CJ7 Laredo, 33x9.5 BFG Muds, 'glass nose to tail in '00 'New' frame in the works for '08. Some Canadian Bush Trip and Build Photos:
Kate

Not really, the Rubicon is more "normal" than the non Rubicon TJs...

Bill Spiliotopoulos, '06 TJ '96 XJ.

Reply to
Bill Spiliotopoulos

"Oh Look, over there!" (tries to erase my question, as it was obviously a leapt-to assumption of what you meant)

;-)

ps: Captain Morgan drinker here! ...

Reply to
noneofyourbusiness

"noneofyourbusiness" wrote

"Oh Look, over there!" (tries to erase my question, as it was obviously a leapt-to assumption of what you meant)

;-)

ps: Captain Morgan drinker here! ...

Don'tcha just WISH that sometimes on here you COULD edit your posts.... sheesh. It sure humbles me at times.

never tried the Captain, might have to one of these days. I like the Bacardi 151 and coke with a little lime.

Light on the rum, I'm a cheap drunk. Two and I'm loopy.

K.

Reply to
Kate

Not really, the Rubicon is more "normal" than the non Rubicon TJs...

Bill Spiliotopoulos, '06 TJ '96 XJ.

-------------------------------------- Just poking a little fun at ya :-)

Kate