4 wheel drive/lack of 4 wheel drive problem, 95 YJ

Ok so I made the mistake of romping around in the middle of the desert, at night, in an area I was unfamiliar with, and I did some damage to my 95 YJ. In short, I had to replace the front driver's side leaf spring, which, in it's bending, pushed the front drive shaft back into the transfer case, breaking the case in half. So I replaced the transfer case too, and chose to go with a used one with a slip yoke eliminator. I had a new rear drive shaft built that is compatible with the new transfer case.

After hooking everything back up, and adding fluid to the transfer case, my 4 wheel drive shifter will not lock into place. Also, when I'm in 2 wheel drive the 4 wheel light comes on, but I don't think 4 wheel is actually engaged. When I shift to 4 high or 4 low, the jeep acts like it's in neutral and won't move, and the 4 wheel light goes out.

Does anyone know what might be wrong with my YJ?

Reply to
a316co2000

I was thinking on it and I can't see how out of adjustment linkage can get you into neutral in the two 4x4 gears, so have to stick with you bought a dead case like I mentioned in the other group. :-(

Hopefully someone else can think of something better wrong.

Mike

86/00 CJ7 Laredo, 33x9.5 BFG Muds, 'glass nose to tail in '00 'New' frame in the works for '08. Some Canadian Bush Trip and Build Photos:
Mike Romain

Got any photos of the carnage?

I suspect your shifter is installed wrong. What you say is 2 wheel drive, sounds like 4 high. What you say is 4 high and 4 low, sounds like neutral. It sounds like your 2 high is actually out of reach because of bad linkage adjustment. I imagine you swapped the linkage when you changed out the transfer case. I suggest taking it off and putting it back on again, carefully following the directions. Another possibility is that your motor and transmission mounts are now out of whack from the romping you did. Another is what Mike said.

Earle

Reply to
Earle Horton

What Earl said sounds like it could be possible. Also, you might want to look into a shackle reversal kit to avoid this type of problem in the future. I recently bent that same spring on my '95 YJ and decided to lift it (no shackle reversal for now). Is your jeep lifted?

Reply to
nrs

What Earl said sounds like it could be possible. Also, you might want to look into a shackle reversal kit to avoid this type of problem in the future. I recently bent that same spring on my '95 YJ and decided to lift it (no shackle reversal for now). Is your jeep lifted?

----- ----- ----- I'm thinking bent shifter parts too. Chances are the donor vehicle was in a wreck and could have had the shifter hit real hard. The OP knows his was. Or the internal transfer case shifter mechanism. Might need a look by a transfer case wizard.

Earle

Reply to
Earle Horton