4L Drive belt Tension

2000 Cherokee Sport 4L, I replaced the drive belt over the winter. When I start the car and turn on the A/C the belt will slip causing me to turn off the A/C. After about 30 seconds I can turn it back on, no problems after that..I dont have any special tools to measure belt tension and I dont want to over tighten the belt. Anyone know what the deflection should be? Thanks
Reply to
DanFXR

There is a special tool they use these days to check that sucker. Maybe some local parts store will 'loan' it to you?

Meanwhile I would/have just checked the longest run when that happens (it is very common after a new belt breaks in) and I see what the deflection is. I then half it and see what happens.

Mike

Mike Romain

Reply to
philthy