'53 M38A1 Jeep Rear Hub Removal

I finally managed to remove the drum from my Jeep! The spindle is keyed and I can see a key further down the shaft. Do I need to remove the key and spin the stud assembly off the shaft before I attempt to remove the shaft?

I am having trouble identifying the type of rear axle and hub assembly I have. The Hayes manual I have says to remove the hub & spindle with a puller. It is pressing into the center of the spindle when I tighten the puller and shearing the metal so I have stopped.

If I do need to remove the key, I am not sure how to get it out...it is fully recessed into the spindle and stud assembly.

Reply to
DK

L.W.(Bill) Hughes III

You forgot to mention the energetic way some of those hubs come off when they DO let go ;-)

Reply to
Will Honea

Right, don't stand in the way! Wear eye protection too, I've had them kick up a lot of dirt flying around.

Reply to
PeterD

Heh.

heavy duty
Can't tell (not familiar with that axle and the photo isn't clear enough) but is there a snap ring hiding in there?

Reply to
DougW

Hopefully, this is not your problem but is the keyway in the hub and on the axle lined up? I once saw one where the key had sheared. The axle spun in the hub then friction welded the hub onto the axle. No more slipping - but that sucker was on for the duration - even a 50-ton shop press couldn't budge it.

Some simple things to help out: with the puller good and tight, hit the bolt in the center of the puller (the one resting on the axle) a couple of sharp blows. The heavier the hammer you use the better - the momentum keeps it from just bouncing. Tapping around the rim of the hub helps - you just want to make the hub ring. Packing the exposed axle in dry ice for an hour or so will also help - be careful handling the dry ice or the shaft at that temperature. Wear heavy gloves. If you resort to the torch on the hub consider replacing it once you get it off since any really high temps can do strange things to casting.

Reply to
Will Honea

I found a tire shop in town that will let me borrow the proper puller. I hope to pick it up some time next week and give it a shot. I'll update once I have results.

Reply to
DK