$730 for a Fuel Rail!!!

I have a 90 Cherokee 4.0L and my local dealer quoted me a price of $730 for a new fuel rail. I realize prices can sometimes be high, but can this be right? I found some places online with much cheaper prices. I'm a new Jeep owner, so I am just venting at hearing this price. Is this typical of dealer prices for parts?

Thanks, JB Honolulu

Reply to
JB

New owner? Well your 1st mistake was buying a Jeep while your 2nd was going to a dealer to look for parts. Find a good shop capable of outfitting your newest hobby, this is just the start of a lengthy, addictive relationship with your Jeep.

Reply to
Redge Egder

Pretty typical for me, but my dealer sample size is only 1. Last month my local dealer clipped me for parts for my `89 Cherokee:

Coolant pump: $113.10 Radiator: $356.50 Serpentine belt: $ 50.03 Radiator hose: $ 27.39 Radiator hose: $ 29.24

The radiator is a discontinued part from D-C, so it was an aftermarket unit.

It is a profit center for them.

Reply to
Lee Ayrton

JB did pass the time by typing:

write the folks at buymopar.com.

But why would you need a new rail? They just don't go bad. O-rings yes, but a rail?

Reply to
DougW

Reply to
Steve G

Thanks for all who replied. I also agree, now that I have done some digging. The diagnosis was reported to me by the previous owner. I suspect this young girl who owned the Jeep was being taken for a ride by her mechanic, which is why she sold it to me for such a low price. Upon investigating it today, and with the help of a cooperative parts dealer, I also figure it must be the o - ring. That will be my project for the weekend. As I said, I am new to the vehicle, which is why I came here, to hear the voices of experience. I don't know much yet, but as Redge Edger says, it will be an addictive relationship. And yes I have heard that song before.

Previous car - 83 Jaguar (talk about a pipeline to my bank account!)

Thanks again JB

Reply to
JB

A related Dealer co$t $tory... It's been nearly 50,000 miles since the fluids were changed in the XJ. I thought first to go to the Jeep dealer from which it was originally bought. Their estimate for changing the transaxle, differentials and (auto.) trans. was $570.

Note that the transmission work would be siphoning-out the fluid, not dropping any filtrarion screens, changing seals, or the like. Is this the preferred method?

I think I smell a D-I-Y project coming up.

Jim

Reply to
Jjsegr

Thanks to all who responded.

Yes, it was the o-ring. Took 20 minutes to fix. The previous owner was quoted a $900 figure to repair from a local mechanic. This is why she sold me the vehicle for $600. Runs great, look forward to putting on many more miles!

Until the next time... JB

Reply to
jbcrow

Reply to