79 cj5 brake pedal

hello all,

it seems that the return spring of my 79 cj5 brake pedal is not returning the pedal all the way anymore and it leaves the brake lights on.

does anyone know how to get he old spring out and the new one in ? (it's kinda cramped in there) Is there an easy way to replace it?

thanks, Ron

Reply to
csdude

Ron, are you sure the brake light switch isn't out of adjustment? On my 86 CJ-7 the plastic brake light switch can be adjusted forward in the mount. It helps if you have experience as a circus contortionist. It's not easy to get at, but it's easier than removing the spring. This link from Jeep Forums shows a 1975 brake pedal and switch assembly. Your 79 should be the same (My 86 is the same).

Good Luck.

Reply to
Jo Baggs

Correction. The picture shows a 79 assembly. So yours should look exactly like the picture.

Reply to
Jo Baggs

Well.. the pedal has quite a bit of play. A while ago (when it was really warm outside) I had that problem constantly. I think that spring is tired (hey it's 30 years old).

Well.. I did that acrobatic thing once, lying upside down in a seat, head under the dash trying to figure out how to replace that spring. But decided, "Neah, it's not that bad yet.." *lol* (I have the bestop seats, in a CJ5, they are a bit higher and they won't slide back. because there's no room...... so that is going to be fun)

I think it really needs to be replaced now. I just have to find a way to get my head and at least one arm in there.

thanks,

Ron

Reply to
csdude

When I try to look up the part, I only seem to be able to find one for the 1941-1971 models CJ (partnmr: 1675006) or are they all the same ?

Reply to
csdude
4 bolts takes out seat?

Well.. the pedal has quite a bit of play. A while ago (when it was really warm outside) I had that problem constantly. I think that spring is tired (hey it's 30 years old).

Well.. I did that acrobatic thing once, lying upside down in a seat, head under the dash trying to figure out how to replace that spring. But decided, "Neah, it's not that bad yet.." *lol* (I have the bestop seats, in a CJ5, they are a bit higher and they won't slide back. because there's no room...... so that is going to be fun)

I think it really needs to be replaced now. I just have to find a way to get my head and at least one arm in there.

thanks,

Ron

Reply to
Greg

Well, I have a Tuffy console bolted in there too.. But I could take both seats and that out if I can't do it otherwise.

I might just lie on the seats.. stare at the brake pedal and see how I am gonna do that *lol*

Reply to
csdude

Also, I'm pretty sure you can bend the metal tab that depresses the brake switch plunger. If you can bend it towards the plunger, it might save you a couple hours. It may also prevent permanent disability of your back.

Reply to
Jo Baggs

I learned a long time ago that I save a whole lot of time (not even counting the time spent getting my back working again) if I just pull the damned seat out - period - when I have to get under the dash. Kind of like removing the radiator to change the water pump - pay me now or pay me later, I guess.

Reply to
Will Honea

well.. probably.. but as I said.. the spring is probably 30 years old... so at some point bending it is probably not going to help a lot either.

Besides that, that tab is also 30 years old.. so if I bend it and it brakes.. ....

Reply to
csdude

*S* the "remove seat" idea starts to sound good.
Reply to
csdude

Here's a link to the picture I took. :) It's the rusty one that needs to be replaced.

On the right is the steering column, so it looks like I need to get creative in getting that spring in and out. (Maybe I get a cheap long screw driver, cut a 'V' in the head of it and see if I can slide the top part of the spring out. And than keep my fingers crossed to get it in again the same way).

(Oh and for those of you curious about a pic of the 258 --> 4.0 HO head conversion, here's a link to a pic of that:

)

Reply to
csdude