8 Slot Grill

Hi Guys, I saw a pre-1999 Grand Cherokee with an 8 slotted grill the other day. I counted them several times and even followed the guy to make sure it was a Grand Cherokee. Is this some after market thing? Whay would anybody buy it? Has anyone ever seen 8 slots before? I am really confused. D

cheap aftermarket replacement parts after a collision?? That is just my guess.

Reply to
Rusted

If memory serves, Daimler had the 8- slot grill, then in early 2000 the introduced the GC with the 7 slots to tie the brand recognition together.

Of course, my brain is like swiss cheese, so I could be wrong.

jjd

Reply to
Josh

I guess that could be Rusted but I would think we'd have seen them before. Thanks D

Hi Josh, No, the 7 slot thing has been a Jeep icon for years. Thanks D

For Wranglers - yes. For Cherokees (XJ) - No. Cherokees before the body change (1997?) have eight slots in the grill. Since early GC's looked awfully like XJs, I wouldn't be surprised if they had similar grills.

Stephen G.

92' XJ.

D wrote:

Reply to
Stephen Gibbs

Bayard Keene

Hey what do you know... it is 8 slots on a cheap aftermarket replacement.

Rusted

The early XJ's actually had 10 slots. DC went to 8 in the 90's in the XJ. I still think the CG had 8 and DC went to 7 with the last body style before the current gen.

jjd

Reply to
Josh

You are correct, sir!

Reply to
Mark E. Bye

My 87 XJ has 10 slots and my 88 XJ has 8 slots.

Mike

Mike Romain

It looked cheap too. Well, mystery solved. Thanks all. D

L.W.(Bill) Hughes III

--> Image search. 1993 Grand Cherokee

Stephen Gibbs proclaimed:

Reply to