'82 CJ steering shaft replacement question

Can the lower steering shaft (power steering, no tilt) be replaced without removing the column - ie, everything is done under the hood only?

Reply to
Clap Trap

Clap Trap ( snipped-for-privacy@the.net) wrote on Sunday 13 March 2005 11:32 am:

Yes - sort of. You'll have to loosen the brackets that hold the steering column in place, but you won't have to actually remove the steering column.

Something to look out for - the power steering gearbox end of the replacement steering shaft was turned around 180 degrees when I received mine. It's an easy thing to fix by flipping the power steering gearbox end of the steering shaft around 180 degrees. If you put it on wrong, your steering wheel will be upside down.

Reply to
Michael White

Thanks for the info. I am glad I won't have to take it all out. The steering wheel position won't be a problem for me, the wheel itself is very easy to remove and reposition on mine.

Reply to
Clap Trap

You have to either loosen the column or drop the gear box to get it out.

Mike

Clap Trap wrote:

Reply to
Mike Romain

I was able to work mine loose but I had to loosen all the bolts in the cab before I could get enough clearance to free the lower end. Mine was 85 cj tilt & PS

JJ

Reply to
Jumpin' Jiminy

Mike, I have been inspired to look into replacing the seals on the steering column where it goes into the steering box. All I need do is remove the bolts that hold the column to the bottom of the dash board and take the "link shaft" out? Once the link is out, this is the shaft that goes from the end of the steering column proper to the steering box, then I can take the old seals out and put new seals in. Right?

I set about working on the steering box a long time ago, but the flare nuts for the hoses were too tight and my flare wrench spread open and slipped. To get the steering box off (that was the direction I thought I had to go), I have to remove the fenders and the grill to get a good angle on the flare nuts that hold the hoses. Since the fenders and grill are in the way, I have elected to carry a bottle of power steering fluid with me at all times, or most of them anyway.

If I can simply drop the column and pull the link shaft, then work on the seals with the steering box in place, perhaps I can finally wash the oil pan that I have to keep under my Jeep. The Mrs. will be overjoyed ...

Reply to
Jeff Strickland

Reply to
L.W.( ßill ) Hughes III

I usually leave everything hooked to the box and just lower the box down and tilt to do the seal.

Your mileage may vary but I think it is easier to drop the box down and have room than pull the top column out and try to do the seal with the box in place. I think the rad would have to come out to have room.

Mike

Jeff Strickland wrote:

Reply to
Mike Romain

If your current shaft is junk, then you can remove it without moving the main steering column.

I cut mine in half with a reciprocating saw and it came right out, then my new Borgeson shaft had enough adjustment in it so it could be installed without moving the steering column

Reply to
Jeff Scherb