83 Cherokee NEED help ASAP

Hi all, Need some help asap please! Got a 83 Jeep Cherokee that I am attempting to finish up tranny installation on. I connected the torque converter to the tranny and bolted the tranny in place, but now I cannot despite several hours and a lot of cussing get the four bolts lined up on the torque converter and the flywheel. This used to be my brother's jeep and he just came back on leave for two weeks and I have to get this thing going as soon as possible. Anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks, Chris

Reply to
ChrisJeep

I haven't worked on this model, but these bolts are typically set in an asymmetric pattern, so that they only fit one way. This is for balancing. It would have been wise to trial fit the flex plate to the torque converter before assembly, and mark one corner. Failing that, turn the torque converter 90º from where you have it, and try again, then 180º, then 270º.

Earle

Reply to
Earle Horton

I am thinking they are in an odd pattern. Sort of like a H with one leg tilted so the two on one end are closer.

I think you might have to spin the converter to find the right holes.

Mike

Mike Romain

A 90 degree spin of the converter will do it.

Reply to
Rich Hampel

Chris,

I'll second the others, try turning the flywheel. If this works, let us know, if not, let us know so we can try to help you further.

Carl

Reply to
Carl