84 XJ steering box

What's it take to rebuild a power steering box on an 84 XJ? Or would it be better to just replace it? Mine's developed a leak but I can't quite tell where. There's been an increasing amount of wiggle in the steering that sort of oscillates at around 50-60mph. How do I tell which box or which kit is needed?

Thanks,

-Bill Kearney

Reply to
wkearney99

Is the box bad or is it just coming loose? KH

Reply to
Kevin in San Diego

Leaking like a sieve. Can't be sure where from however as it's sort of hard to get a good look at it. I'm figuring that at about 260k on the odo it's not unreasonable to need replacing.

Reply to
wkearney99

More reasonable to have a hose leak....

It should be cleaned off first to see what is what. You can get a kit for them and the kit is easy to put in. You also can just get the individual seals for them.

Mike

wkearney99 wrote:

Reply to
Mike Romain

Did the hoses a month ago and that only fixed the pump-side part of the problem. Which was a tiny leak in comparison.

Yeah, it's just crammed right up there near the frame and the radiator and makes for difficult cleaning and inspection. That and the canister is in the way.

Well, is the wear such that replacing the seals on a unit with this many miles would be sort of pointless? How does one easily measure if a box is worn past simple seal replacement? And how hard is it to rebuild one? Are the seals simple pull and replace or is a press needed?

-Bill Kearney

Reply to
wkearney99

Hi Mike,

Easy? I bought a kit for my CJ box and there must have been 200 parts in it! I said "NO WAY", took the kit back and bought a re-man unit.

Now I have a leak in my TJ box (I can't win :-( ). It leaks right around the steering shaft input. What's the chances of a seal or two there being simple? This Jeep has only 28K on it... don't understand why it should be leaking!

Reply to
JimG

Reply to
FrankW

I do know what is happening with the TJ one I think.

The TJ's saganaw box has a modified 2 piece adjustment plug that is really prone to leaks I was told by a steering and suspension shop. (It seems they are right seeing as my CJ one is still original and barely seeps)

I recently helped a gent do his seal and the shop gave us an 'old style' one piece plug from a YJ style saganaw box. This fit in and so far hasn't leaked.

I didn't find rebuilding the top of the box intimidating nor the number of parts inside the kit. My friend had the whole kit, but we only needed a new adjustment plug seal.

I was kinds worried about the idea of heating and stretching the teflon rings over the internal parts though. Thankfully, we didn't need to do that part.

That is the second Jeep one I have done. I am just getting practice for when I have to do my CJ one. LOL!

Mike

JimG wrote:

Reply to
Mike Romain

The seals are a simple pull and replace.

I do not know how to tell 'how' worn a box is, sorry.

Mike

wkearney99 wrote:

Reply to
Mike Romain

Special tool = long needle nosed pliers.

Mike

FrankW wrote:

Reply to
Mike Romain

So you bought the kit and had someone else put it in? What did that cost? Im thinking $140 for a re-man unit.

JimG

Reply to
JimG

Reply to