87 wrangler doors/windsheild gap?

hey everyone. i am a bit baffled by the approx 1/2" gap between my steel (i have a hardtop) doors and the windshield (both doors)... its a bit difficult to explain but it almost seems as if the windsheild should 'pull back' farther to meet the doorframe - except of course that it cant possibly do so b/c of the rollbar which fixes the windsheild firmly into place... these are apparently the original doors and the rubber seals around the door frame aren't in that bad a shape - the gap seems too big for it to be a seal problem anyway. it is annoying on the highway with the wind blowing into the cab and making quite a racket, perhaps the wind has bent the door (sub?)frame over the years? this doesnt seem that likely, since i would imagine that would cause the windows to stick some (maybe?) going up and down... i am sure there is a simple explanation... anyone know what it is? thanks in advance. bennett

Reply to
bobvonbob

You have an odd ball year for some parts, but my 86's windshield has to be reset when I change doors and tops. I could put my hand through the differences and I have the stock doors and tops. My windshield is a CJ/YJ one.

I thought that new bar had a set screw you could loosen just in front of the roll bar so you could loosen the windshield hinge just above the big round knob thing and adjust it? I believe it is a slotted fitting under the forward facing bar for this.

I could be totally wrong on that but...

Mike

86/00 CJ7 Laredo, 33x9.5 BFG Muds, 'glass nose to tail in '00 88 Cherokee 235 BFG AT's Canadian Off Road Trips Photos: N>
Reply to
Mike Romain

hmmm... could be mike - thanks, i'll check it out. b

Reply to
bobvonbob

The windshield angle is adjustable like Mike suggested. There is a Torix headed screw accessable with the hardtop off about 2" forward of the rollbar. Loosen the windshield bolts on the dash, loosen the stretcher bar bolt, adjust the windshield to an even 3/8" gap with the leading edge of the door. Expect that at least one of the Torix bolts will round out or snap off. :(

If your problem migrates to the back t> hey everyone. i am a bit baffled by the approx 1/2" gap between my

Reply to
RoyJ

thanks alot roy and mike - i'm gonna check it out on my day off (thurs). i really appreciate all the help. THAT'S what this list is all about. this anon remailer thing is getting out of hand... i'm sincerely hoping that if they get ignored for a while longer they'll get bored, stop wasting our time and bandwidth and return to their obviously pathetic lives. cheers. bennett

Reply to
bobvonbob

You are welcome. The two upper bolts on the inside hinge lock are also in slotted holes so you have a fair amount of play.

Mike

bobv>

Reply to
Mike Romain