'88 Cherokee 2.8V6 (GM), no spark

Recently I have not been able to start my '88 Cherokee (2.8V6 GM), the spark plugs won't spark. After the problem occured I replaced the rotor and rotor cap as well as the ignition control module. Unfortunately it still won't start.

I now fear that I have a defective ignition coil, because the old rotor and rotor cap were in very bad condition.

Is the above plausible or not ? Who can help me ?

Bert van Viegen

Reply to
G. van Viegen, Exaro

You can check the coil with a test light. First check to see if one of the wires gets power when you turn the key on. If that is good, then probe the other wire while someone cranks the engine. The test light should flash as the engine cranks. If both of these tests are good...buy a coil.

-- Old Crow '82 Shovelhead FLT 92" 'Pearl' '95 Jeep YJ Rio Grande ASE Certified Master Auto Tech + L1 TOMKAT, BS#133, SENS, MAMBM, DOF#51

Reply to
Old Crow

Not sure of your system since all 88 XJ with 6 cylinders here in the USA have the 4.0 engines. Do you have fuel injection on this Jeep? If so it may be a Crankshaft Position Sensor.

Sometimes ignition switches go bad and you get no power to some items. Did you check for power to the ignition coil and module?

later and good luck, dave AKA vwdoc1

Reply to
dave AKA vwdoc1

The HEI coil on the the 86 2.8L is notorious for failure. Keep a spare on-board.

Reply to
Rich Hampel

One other thing that can cause no spark is a bad ground wire to the firewall.

I don't know where the ground strap is on the 2.8, but on most Jeeps it goes from the rear of the engine up to the firewall and is a mesh strap.

To test, run a booster cable to the firewall from the battery negative. If it starts, you have found the trouble.

That happened on our 88.

Mike

"G. van Viegen, Exaro" wrote:

Reply to
Mike Romain

Reply to
attnews

Reply to
attnews

Hmmm, not the one my boss traded for and I had to put a reman 2.8l in a few years ago. You don't see many with the 2.8l, because they are a bit(how shall I say this?)underpowered.

-- Old Crow '82 Shovelhead FLT 92" 'Pearl' '95 Jeep YJ Rio Grande ASE Certified Master Auto Tech + L1 TOMKAT, BS#133, SENS, MAMBM, DOF#51

Reply to
Old Crow

I don't know why nobody but me has seen these, but I actually know where 2 of these Cherokee's with the 2.8l are sitting as I type. Heck they even put the 4 cylinder in them, but you won't see many of those either.

-- Old Crow '82 Shovelhead FLT 92" 'Pearl' '95 Jeep YJ Rio Grande ASE Certified Master Auto Tech + L1 TOMKAT, BS#133, SENS, MAMBM, DOF#51

Reply to
Old Crow

Hmmm, YOU have seen some USA 1988 Cherokees with a V6 engine that is "stock"? Which state are they in? later, dave AKA vwdoc1

Reply to
dave AKA vwdoc1
87 was the last year for the 2.8 in North America.

The 88 came with the 4.0.

Mike

Old Crow wrote:

Reply to
Mike Romain

"attnews" schreef in bericht news:_9aWb.3368$ snipped-for-privacy@bgtnsc05-news.ops.worldnet.att.net...

It was originally fitted with the 2.8 litre engine. I live in the Netherlands, because of the lack of hills and unpaved roads there is hardly any need to have a 4 litre engine.

Reply to
G. van Viegen, Exaro

Hmmm I thought it was 1986 in the XJs in the USA and in 1987 the 4.0 was introduced in them.

Reply to
dave AKA vwdoc1

I am in Canada and thought the next door neighbor had an 87. Could easily be wrong there.

Mike

dave AKA vwdoc1 wrote:

Reply to
Mike Romain

Reply to
L.W.(ßill)

Hey maybe it took two years to get there and the 1986 became a 1988 there. lol

Reply to
dave AKA vwdoc1

There was not a choice between a 2.8 and a 4.0. The 4.0 replaced the 2.8.

KennyH

Horsepower is cheaper than therapy.

Reply to
KHanawalt

You are correct. Last year for the 2.8L was 1986. The 4.0 was introduced in

1987.
Reply to
bllsht

Well, the way you guys were replying made it sound like they never put a 2.8 in the Cherokee at all(or maybe it just sounded like that to me). I checked with my former boss, and his is an '87. I guess it's just another example of age catching up with me. I won't bother to go to the wrecking yard to check the other one, cuz you guys are probably right. I need another cup of coffee, so if you'll excuse me, I'll crawl back in my corner and be quiet now.

-- Old Crow '82 Shovelhead FLT 92" 'Pearl' '95 Jeep YJ Rio Grande ASE Certified Master Auto Tech + L1 TOMKAT, BS#133, SENS, MAMBM, DOF#51

Reply to
Old Crow

I am 'pretty' sure I have seen an 87 too....

I know I have seen a couple 86's.

Mike

Mike Romain