88 Engine in a 90 YJ

I've got a chance to buy a 1988 Wagoneer with a 4.0 FI engine dirt cheap. Engine runs really well and seems too clean to have the

135,000 the odometer say it does. So, I'm hoping its been rebuilt. Now my question. I have a 1990 YJ Wrangler with the 4.2 carb engine, it has issues in the bottom half of the engine.

So, what do you think of swapping the 88 engine, wiring harness and computer into the 90 YJ?

Too much work for too little improvement? Do you think I'll have a tough time passing emissions testing in Maryland?

What do you think?

Thanks! Jim Smith

Reply to
Jim Smith

In most states that have I/M or testing programs there is a rule that gasoline burning engines must be of the same year or newer as the chassis. So technically you would have a problem.

Perhaps the Wagoneer engine has been rebuilt or replaced, but I doubt it. If it has, it may have a Service Replacement Block with no VIN. In which case the engine has no model year technically as it has no number on its block, and the VIN of the block determines the legal age of the year.

However...If you were to put your 4.0 liter head on the 4.2 block and keep all the stock plumbing, et al, so it looked stone stock, and did pass emissions, probably you would get away with it because they don't look that closely as long as all the stuff is there and it passes.

But....you would be better off to get a junkyard core engine and rebuild it or buy a decent running engine from the junkyard than buy a whole vehicle just for a lower end. Or rebuild yours if you don't mind the downtime.

You must read your state laws carefully for yourself and not rely on others' advice before you do it. Especially Hughes, he'll tell you to put a Chevy in there with a piece of shit Advance Adapter. But he won't help you when the state will not license your Heep, since obvious swaps always get the gimlet eye.

Reply to
Bret Ludwig

Put the two of them together. 4.2 crank & rods in a 4.0 = 4.7. The older renix efi of the '88 had a knock sensor which helps in this type of mod.

Reply to
jeff

Is there a write up on this modification available?

Reply to
Billy Ray

I am kinda tossing that about Billy Ray. I have the old 88 Cherokee we are driving and a 4.2 with a new crank sitting in my garage so when this motor wears out.....

Google has a ton of pages on doing it.

My CJ7 goes nice right now as you know, add the stroker, headers, bigger carb or keep the FI and upgrade the injectors, etc. and it would fly.

That old 88 engine still passes emissions easy as is and even dropping that in like the OP was asking wouldn't be hard.

Mike

Billy Ray wrote:

Reply to
Mike Romain

Reply to
jeff

Mel is getting the new engine? Hmmmmm

Reply to
Billy Ray

LOL! Well, seeing as 'she' bought the CJ7 and 'I' bought the Cherokee, you could say that....

Mike

Billy Ray wrote:

Reply to
Mike Romain