88 YJ Carter Carb

Have a 88 YJ 258. After shutting the engine off, fuel is dripping into the carb. How hard is it to change the seat and needle or should I just go to a rebuilt ($450). The Weber carb conversion, is it a worth while alternative?

Reply to
JEEPR

A kit for that carb runs about $25.00 and is easy to put in. The modern fuels also seem to leave junk that gums up the float needle's slide path easy so I usually do a couple cleans to each kit I buy.

It can be carefully removed from the outside and cleaned.

Mike

86/00 CJ7 Laredo, 33x9.5 BFG Muds, 'glass nose to tail in '00 88 Cherokee 235 BFG AT's - G> Have a 88 YJ 258. After shutting the engine off, fuel is dripping into the > carb.
Reply to
Mike Romain

Thanks Mike

What is a good source for the kit?

Reply to
JEEPR

I just get one at any local auto parts store. They all carry it around here or can order it in quick. Canadian Tire carries them.

The directions are good.

When I open them for a clean, I don't 'unadjust' anything I don't have to to open them up. If it was running alright, then there is no need to mess with things like the vacuum piston or the settings on the idle mix, etc... A good spray with carb cleaner works.

Things like the float level should be checked carefully and the idle pickup tubes need to be really cleaned well. Also get the chunk of gas line from the filter to the carb with cleaner. It has a loop that holds junk.

Make sure the gas filter gets back in right side up. The center outlet goes to the carb, the top one goes to the return line.

Mike

JEEPR wrote:

Reply to
Mike Romain