89 cherokee 4wd engage/disengage problem

okay I am stuck. I have been told that there is supposed to be a vacuum line running to the front axle differential to engage the front axle to

4wd. I am as green as they come when it comes to this vehicle. I cannot find a vacuum line running to the unit. If there is a vacuum line running to it, where does it originate from; maybe I could track it back that way,
Reply to
scmadhatter

You may not have a vacuum disconnect on your axle. Mine doesnt. If there is no box on the axle tube with lines two lines going to it then you are lucky and have a non vacuum disconnect front axle.

If its not shifting, start with the simplest things, check your tire pressure and make sure they are the same left and right sides, it is very common for the shift linkage to slip a bit and need adjusting. the shift linkage adjusts right underneath the jeep where the handle pulls on a rod that connects to your transfer case. KH for tons of other cherokee owners opinions and more info than anyone could ever want about the cherokee try.

Kevin in San Diego

An 89 is supposed to be a vacuum style axle lock. The vacuum switch is on the passenger side of the axle tube on the back side.

Are you having an issue shifting into 4x4?

Mike

scmadhatter wrote:

Reply to
Mike Romain

Mike, not all 89's have a vacuum axle disconnect. My 88 is a non disconnect.

Hey Mike, how have you been, are you any better? I havent been around here in a while.

KH

Reply to
Kevin in San Diego

Interesting, our 88 has the disconnect. I guess a visual is in order for the OP. If it has the switch on the passenger side axle, it has a disconnect.

I am mobile, but not much better. The accident really messed up my neck and shoulder and the doctors are telling me it's likely permanent. My neck vertebra are compressed from C3 to C7 with C5 hitting the central cord even. I go for more MRI photos this week to see if they can re-attach my shoulder blade or not. The muscles under it act like they are ripped all to crap and one MRI shot shows them torn bad.

The only off roading I am doing these days is just enough to get to a camp place and park my butt. We were supposed to go out last weekend for 5 days but I couldn't function well enough to drive there even after some insurance quacks 'assessed' me on the Thursday. :-(

Mike

Reply to
Mike Romain

Is the disconnect related to Command Trac versus Selec Trac? What I am thinking, is that Selec Trac has a "full time four wheel drive" mode, and the disconnect doesn't look like something, that is designed for heavy duty cycles.

Earle

Reply to
Earle Horton

Right Earle. I do have an NP242 tcase making it full time 4wd capable and a non disconnect front axle that always spins the front driveshaft. KH

Reply to
Kevin in San Diego

Dang Mike, well at least you didnt die, but wow. I guess it could always be worse. It sounds tough though. Good luck with future improvements. KH

Reply to
Kevin in San Diego