89 Cherokee - Transfer Case Stuck in 4x4 (NOT Vacuum Switch)

Title says it all - Been driving my 89 Cherokee with the front hub motor vacuum lines switched to keep the front wheels disengaged. Front drive shaft spins and I can hear the transfer case whining at speed so I know it really is in 4x4. Checked the shift linkage - it looks and seems to work fine, though I didn't disconnect it and really push it to see if it would disengage 4x4.

Anybody seen this? Any easy fixes? Seems like my only alternative at this point is to suck it up, drop the transfer case, and look inside. I'm also debating just taking off the front driveshaft (this thing's got 190K on it and has lots of other problems - I'm mainly just trying to keep it going till it drops dead).

Thanks

-Pete

Reply to
news.verizon.net

A bad engine or tranny mount can knock the linkage out enough to keep it in the wrong gear.

Mike

"news.veriz>

Reply to
Mike Romain

A faulty vacuum switch on the transfer case will give you this symptom. You stated that the front prop shaft is turning.... what isn't clear is whether it still turns with the wheels off the ground. If your vacuum switch is stuck and causing the front axle to engage, then the prop shaft should turn along with it. It may very well be something more serious than this (broken shift fork, mounts as Mike said), but I have seen dozens and dozens of stuck vacuum switches. GM recalled most of the NP231-equipped trucks for this concern. I would check that before I tear the case out.

Jerry

Reply to
belowme

It would be easier to just reach up and loosen the lock bolt on the rod from the shifter that runs back to the tc. Then take something and pry the shift lever on the tc all the way (damn - forward or back? Can't remember!) in the direction that the shifter would try to move it. If it's still in 4wd, it's teardown time to fix it. There are a couple of dogs on the shift plates inside that could be out of their track or the pads on the shift forks could be worn out. Anyway, the quickest and easiest thing would be to disconnect the shift and force the tc to 2wd. If that fails, get the shift arm on the front axle to disconnect then tie the sucker in place with the vacuum motor disconnected and plugged.

If you can't get the tc out of 4wd then you probably have someth> Title says it all - Been driving my 89 Cherokee with the front hub motor

Reply to
Will Honea