89 Wrangler Steering Problem

I have an 89 Wrangler with tilt wheel and manual transmission. When I turn the wheels all the way to the right or left, the steering wheel can continue to spin, causing misalignment of the steering wheel. What is the problem and how do I fix it? Thanks

Reply to
matt

Sounds to me like the sector gear is worn out. It has its tightest tolerance when it is centored and is the sloppiest at full turn and sound sounds like it is worn to the point that it is skipping. I doubt it is U joint because it would not cause alignement error and it would feel sloppy straight ahead. Do not drive vehicle until you replace steering box. It is 18 years old and they do wear out.

----------------- TheSnoMan.com

Reply to
SnoMan

The steering wheel alignment is adjusted via the drag link:

that connects thebox to the tie rod. You may have a really, really loose pitman arm on thebox spline. DON'T drive it! God Bless America, Bill O|||||||Omailto: snipped-for-privacy@aol.com

L.W. (Bill) Hughes III