'89 YJ - Source for OEM leaf springs

One of my rear leaf springs cracked and I'm looking for replacement. Standard ones should be easy to find, No? I'm in the Long Island, NY region. Local spring shop wanted $500 for the pair installed. Ughhh!!! Thanks, Joe

Reply to
Joe C

L.W.(Bill) Hughes III

I'm watching EBAY, but trying to find a set that does not need to be shipped. Maybe a local pickup, not too far away. My wife keeps telling me, "Enuf with the Jeep already, when are you going to stop putting parts into it?" Joe '89 YJ, 4.2, 5speed with only 150,000 miles.

Joe C

When will you stop putting parts into the wife?

billy ray

I am guessing you are on a budget. Have you checked your local recycling yards? If your main leaf is not broken, you can also get away with replacing leaves singly, possibly from another vehicle. You will be well advised to use at least new U-bolts and center bolts if you do this. I have done this job in the driveway, with firewood for jack stands.

Recycling yards will have parts interchange manuals, and they will be able to tell you, which other vehicles would have parts that fit. I am guessing that the rear spring from a Cherokee might fit.

Many people don't like recycled springs, because you don't know what kind of abuse they got in their former life. But heck, the one you have now is broken.

Earle

Earle Horton

Reply to
L.W.(Bill) Hughes III

The main leaf is broken. Almost half the metal that surrounds the forward bushing fell off. Money is not the problem, but there comes a time when you have to give up the ghost. I have done almost all of the work on the Jeep myself. If I had to pay a mechanic for everything, it would have been finished a while ago. It's a great ride and I still enjoy it so more than likely I'll be bustin my knuckles yet again. Joe

Joe C

But shorten the life of your spine....

Reply to
Matt Macchiarolo

Reply to
L.W.(Bill) Hughes III

Reply to
L.W.(Bill) Hughes III

Yeah, my initial reaction was, "They don't break there!"

Earle

Reply to
Earle Horton

I went shopping for some OEM or very small lift non OEM for my '87 a few weeks back. General comments: any used springs are likely to have spring wrap bends near the eyes as well as pretty well flattened out. YMMV but I've pretty much ruled out used parts.

My local spr> One of my rear leaf springs cracked and I'm

Reply to
RoyJ

I have replaced the bushings using vise, sockets and threaded rod. The best method for removal is the gas wrench. I am a little surprised that the liberal tree-hugging commies still allow this. ;^)

Earle

Reply to
Earle Horton

Well.... it is probably technically illegal but would be hard to catch and prove.

Reply to
billy ray

Earle, Here's my plan.....

1)Remove old leaf, right side 2)Disassemble and remove bottom link with broken eyelet 3)Buy used leaf, about the same age or newer and disassemble 4)Assemble 4 upper leafs from my spring and 1 lower one from the one that I purchased. This way, my YJ should sit about the same, No? 5)Replace reassembled leaf

Seems straightforward, what could go wrong? :) Joe

Reply to
Joe C

Famous last words !

Hey ya'll watch this!

Reply to
billy ray

Where's the problem, the plan or the execution? :)

Reply to
Joe C

I am not getting something you said. It is probably a question of terminology. The entire unit is a "leaf spring". The five flat parts of which it is composed are "leaves", not "links". The top leaf is the one with a bushing on either end. If you can find a top leaf the same length, your plan will most likely work.

Earle

Reply to
Earle Horton

Yes, I used the wrong terminology. I meant leaf, not link. Also, I had the bottom and top leaf confused. Joe

Reply to
Joe C

This plan should work then, although you may find that the top leaf is vehicle specific. It won't hurt to ask around though.

I saw a guy try to weld one once. It didn't work.

Earle

Reply to
Earle Horton