90 Cherokee Trac-Lok Rear Axle Identification Question

1990 Cherokee 4.0L 4x4 Auto Dana 35 Rear Axle (Round w/Rubber Drain Plug)

There is a small metal tag attached to one of the Differential Cover Bolts. A portion of this tag has been broke or cut off (nothing on it).

Leaking fluid from the Rubber Drain Plug and I'd like to change the fluid while replacing the Plug. How can I determine whether or not this is a Trac-Lok Rear Axle??? (jack up and spin the tires???)

Thanks !

Reply to
RamAir68

Yep, spin the wheels, if they both turn the same way, its a trash lock. Dont forget your limited slip additive, unless the gear oil comes with that stuff in it now or something. KH

Reply to
Kevin in San Diego

Reply to
L.W.(ßill)

At which time you can look for the locker... if you know what you're looking for.

If the cover is glued on, put a 2x4 against the edge and whack it with a big hammer, don't beat on the cover flange itself or pry on it. Leave a bolt or two in, so it doesn't fly across the driveway and spray fluid everywhere. __ Steve .

Reply to
Stephen Cowell

FYI... Per the FSM, refill with 3 pints of gear oil. This will leave the oil level approx an inch below the bottom of the fill hole. The rubber plug will leak if over filled. - Joe

Reply to
Joe M

Reply to
L.W.(ßill)

Sounds like youre speaking from experience? lol KH

so it doesn't fly across the driveway and

Reply to
Kevin in San Diego

I heard somewhere that the funny rubber plugged diffs dont get filled all the way, but I never actually worked on one or read the manual.

Reply to
Kevin in San Diego

Thanks for the great advice guys !! After checking around on the Web, it seems there could have been (2) tags attached to the Differential Cover. (1) noted the Gear Ratio. The other would have noted Trac-Lok (if applicable). What remains of a tag on my son's is off to the side in the exact location that the axle ratio tag would be. Still, to be safe we'll do the tire spin check.

Yes, unfortunately, this is a relatively stock Cherokee w/o all the off-road modifications that would make it a REAL Jeep. This includes the factory Diff. Cover with the Rubber Plug. (# 5252504AB replacement).

For some reason, lube is leaking from the Rubber Plug. Doesn't appear to be torn from the outside. Must be just 'worn'.

Thanks again !

Reply to
RamAir68

I *did* just change my rear diff fluid... the cover was a booger to get off. Luckily, I had the smarts to not do that. The factory manual is less than helpful... and the 2x4 really made it happen.

Reply to
Stephen Cowell

I have recently discovered a startling fact... if the plug is even *slightly* dirty, it will leak. If you make sure that *all* surfaces are absolutely clean, it shouldn't leak. I overfilled mine, and it hasn't leaked a drop. __ Steve .

Reply to
Stephen Cowell

Reply to
L.W.(ßill)

Manual says to leave 1/2" below on mine... forget if front or rear ('00XJ). __ Steve .

Reply to
Stephen Cowell

Reply to
L.W.(ßill)

Dammit, I can't find where I saw that... all refs I see now say 'bottom of fill hole'... checked Chiltons, Haynes, FSM, AllDataDIY... I know I saw it *somewhere*, dammit... probably some misinfo here!

Ignore my misinfo below... __ Steve .

Reply to
Stephen Cowell

lol

Reply to
Kevin in San Diego

Hi Bill, I agree! It seems foolish to change to a system that makes it difficult to easily determine proper quantity... I raised the subject because I had this dilemma on my 90XJ back in March. I asked on this forum at that time and someone suggested 3.5 pints. That brought the level up to

1/4 - 1/2 inch below the hole and that is working well for me with no leakage.

The '90 FSM has different wording than your '97. It says to fill with 2.5 pints (plus limited slip additive) and torque the fill plug ( it never says fill to hole... it also never mentions the rubber plug!? ).

FWIW, I just looked in a Mitchell manual and for the Model 35 it shows 2.5 pints for years 89-94, 3.5 pints for years 95-96.

Joe, '90 XJ

Reply to
Joe M

Reply to