90 XJ ABS power booster

I have an XJ and the brakes are very hard to depress. A friend said that the power booster is not functioning and needs to be replaced. He also said that I should convert the brakes from ABS to conventional power brakes because it would take a boat load of cash to fix it. Has anybody else done this before and have some tips for me before I tackle the project?

Thanx, Jim

Reply to
CDawg1506

L.W.( ßill ) Hughes III

Reply to
mic canic

aren't the ABS pumps under a permanent recall too?

Reply to
dave AKA vwdoc1

Okay, here's my recent experience with my 91XJ. Bendix ABS, the pump is supposed to run about every 3 pumps of the brake pedal. It had started running on every pump, and running of and on while sitting at stop lights. First about every 45 seconds, then 30 seconds, finally, every 12 seconds. Apparently, the accumulator is what goes first, and if you let it go long enough so that the pump runs continuously, the pump soon follows. Naturally, the pump is covered by the lifetime warranty, the accumulator is not.

I looked into replacing the system with non-ABS brakes, and decided that I really didn't have the time to go junkyarding, tearing the thing apart, etc, as it is my daily driver.

Took it to the dealer. Sure enough, the accumulator was bad. Cost me $400, but everything works right again. They tested the pump and claim that it is holding pressure, which appears to be the case. I'm betting that this will keep the system up and running for as long as I own the vehicle. This system was used on millions of Chrysler vehicles, and is very much a safety related item, so I think parts will continue to be available, but only at Stealerships.

As it turns out, the next day, I made a quick trip to return a library book, and it started raining. Well, there's one of those nasty camera equipped traffic lights on the way home. It went yellow, I checked the rear view (all clear), planted my foot on the brakes, and came to a very quick straight stop using the ABS.

Oh, and yes, the brake pedal does seem to require less pressure than it did before the replacement.

Still a nasty system, and I certainly won't buy another vehicle with it.

Regards,

DAve

Reply to
DaveW

glad you are feeling safe now! ;-) I agree with you, I would not really want one on my vehicle. lol

Oh and it sounds like it might take part of a day to change it over in case you want to convert. Just prepare all of your parts before you take your XJ offline. ;-) Of course now you don't need to do this......now!

Reply to
dave AKA vwdoc1

Reply to
L.W.( ßill ) Hughes III

Reply to
mic canic

Reply to
mic canic

Reply to
L.W.( ßill ) Hughes III

Bill, if you read the rest of the site, it says that (at least on a GC, I assume the same is true for the XJ) that the ABS is disconnected in Part Time 4 Wheel Drive, which is what I use when I'm offroad.

I have Selec-Trac, so I gather that the ABS is still functional in Full Time 4X4. Good to know since I do use that when it starts raining here in LA after not having done so for months at a time.

When I offroad, I tend to go back to my old days of driving Dodge Darts with 9" drum brakes. That is, drive like you don't have brakes at all! So, I'm probably pretty safe.

At $2.50 a gallon, I haven't been out of the city much anyway these days!

Regards,

DAve

Reply to
DaveW

Recall only good to 100,000 miles for an 89-91 XJ huh? lol Does anyone have one of these with less mileage? I don't even buy vehicles until they have over 100K miles on them.

thanks mic and Bill

Reply to
dave AKA vwdoc1

Reply to