90 XJ springs

Called the stealership for springs front and back: front coils are $81 a piece and rear leafs are $210 a piece. If I did my math right that's $622.74 including tax... before shocks that probably need replacing also at $24 each for factory ones.

Now about a suspension lift... Does anyone know of a lift kit that would replace the springs and shocks and not much else? I'm not looking for extreme heights here, and I dont wanna have to do all the things I did to my TJ to lift it. I'm keeping the 235/75r15's on it, so I'm guessing I could go for about 2 inches of lift? Unless they only sell 3 inch lifts...

I have no idea about what goes on into lifting an XJ. If I get a 3 inch lift will I have to shorten the transfer case output shaft like in the TJ? I'm open to suggestions.

Troy

Reply to
Troy

I don't know of any company that sells 2" full springs. What is wrong with your stock suspension? Are the springs sagging? You could get a budget boost which would be a 2" poly spacer up front and a 1" block with 1" shackle for the rear. If the rear is sagging lower, you could get a 1.5" block with a 1" shackle. You could also do an add-a-leaf but it is not reccomended as it rides stiff.

Check out

for more info on thier budget boosts.

I put a 2" Skyjacker budget boost on my XJ and I like it. It is spacers for the front, and a full legnth add-a-leaf for the rear. The ride is stiff in the rear.

For about $600 you can get a Rubicon Express 3.5" lift kit for your XJ, including full rear springs and shocks. It rides very well, the only problem would be that your 235's might look a little silly. With a 3 to

3.5" lift you will not need any t-case mods. You MAY need to drop the T-case 1" to help put the angles back in order, but you will not need a SYE (short shaft kit).

Check out

for more information on the RE kits.

You can also buy good used stock springs around from people who have upgraded.

HTH

Carl

Troy wrote:

Reply to
CarlSaiyed

I have a 2" lift kit for ours that I haven't put in yet. It is just two front spacers and two rear blocks. Not expensive. Our shocks are really old anyway so that is just a maintenance expense...

Mike

Mike Romain

Mike, don't forget to re-install the front bumpstop AFTER the new spacer and old spring are back in. I just removed the shocks and with stands under the frame, jacked up the pass side of the jeep under the steering knuckle as far as I could. This pretty much lets the stock spring all but fall out. Also, make sure you get the spacer right-side up. It should be grooved for the spring. Is it a full 2" spacer? Who made it?

Carl

Reply to
CarlSaiyed

I just looked and they are Daystar 1 1/2" front spacers with 1 1/2" blocks.

Mike

snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

Reply to
Mike Romain

OK, so it should be a poly spacer. I have the poly's and they are good.. No clunking like the metal ones. Sounds like you are all set.

Reply to
CarlSaiyed

You can do a brand new Rough Country 3 inch lift kit with new coils in the front and new rear leaf srpings (it includes 4 hydro shocks) for $499.00.

I'm sure BDS has springs for a lot less than that as well.

Crown Automotive makes a standard 4 leaf spring for your Cherokee. Just contact one of their distributors. I'm sure they are less than $100.00 each!

Nat Man

Reply to
Nat Man

The springs in the back are flat, the springs in the front are sagging alot, the passenger side front is sagging lower than the driver's side. I notice other cherokees around town and I think I have the lowest 4x4 cherokee in town. Guess I'm more aerodynamic that way though. I just notice when I try to crawl under there its a tight fit for me.

I got this thing from a guy from New York and man is the underside rusted out. I went to replace the fuel filter and the bolt on the bracket holding it has rusted away, I cant get a socket on it. I looked at the springs and alot of the area around them is starting to rot away :( I think I'm gonna just ride it like it is then trade it in for a newer cherokee with less problems. I was trying to go the ultimate cheap way on this one but I think it's too far gone. Thanks for the info on the lift kits though, I'll most likely lift the newer xj when I get it.

TRoy

Reply to
Troy

Troy:

For your future newer XJ, also look into the Old Man Emu suspension kits. I have the 2 1/2 inch kit, replacing the front and read springs and the shocks, and the ride is better than when I got it. The parts aren't the cheapest, but are well designed and built.

Stephen.

92 XJ Laredo, 2.5" OME, 235/75 BFG AT/KOs, and lots of skid plates.
Called the stealership for springs front and back: front coils are $81 a
Reply to
Stephen Gibbs