91 Jeep Steering Column

Following a vehicle burglary where he lost a stereo system, the steering column in my son's Jeep appears to be broken. Actually, it appears that the tilt-wheel mechanism is broken where top part of the column is no longer stationary and moves around. Has anyone experienced problems with a broken tilt mechanism? Just wondering what the level of difficulty is in repairing something like that and am hopeful, the entire steering column doesn't need to be replaced.

thanks for any advice, John

Reply to
jcage

That sounds like the small bolts that attach the tilt mechanism to the lower shaft have backed out. Common problem and a PITA to fix - you have to start by pulling the steering wheel and continue taking things apart until you can finally reach those stinking bolts - they are located just below the point where the fixed part of the column begins. You will want a copy of the FSM to work from - lots of parts in there that can get lost/misplaced. I think you also have an airbag to mess with - get the instructions for removing that and follow them religiously. One part you have to be really careful with is the bearing the top part of the shaft rides in - it has a plastic cage and is easily damaged. Took me the better part of the day to fix mine.

Reply to
Will Honea

Airbag on a '91?

Cheers,

Earle

Reply to
Earle Horton

Senior moment - I read 2001 . Only airbag on the '91 was the driver...

How much snow have you got down that way by now? This global warming is getting to me - gets much warmer the snow around the cabin is gonna bury it!

Reply to
Will Honea

Only a foot in the yard and melting fast. Lots left in the high country. The roads are in general good but most are still chewed up from the recent bad winter and repairs are causing stoppages here and there.

Earle

Reply to
Earle Horton

I did mine in a couple of hours. google this. There are a couple of good articles with pictures.

Not too hard.....

Reply to
tbirdzz

Reply to