'91 Wrangler, Fuel odor while driving

Hey all, I have a '91 Wrangler I-6 4.0 and I've been smelling fuel vapors as of late. After I'm driving I inspect the undercarriage to see if I can find the source, but I'm unable to. The odor is strongest in the rear driver's side wheel well, and there seems to be a liquid leak in that vicinity, as the grime I wipe off my axle and undercarriage smells of gasoline. I've taken it to my local mechanic (not a jeep dealer) and he was unable to find the source of any leak. I know my nose is not lying. Anyone have any ideas?

Reply to
ryan.a.jamieson

Could be a hole in the tank . Or check the fuel filter. One of the lines might be leaking. With the gas prices how they are and gas being an explosive . I'd check every thing. You could try a pressure check on the tank and line. Bill or Mike would prouble know better then myself.

Later Mike

Reply to
Mike chambers

Replace the fue filter thats where it is at . the drvers side rear wheel well. Tucked up by the frame.Replace it and see what happens. When doing it dont smoke or have an open flame. LOL

Later Mike

Reply to
Mike chambers

If you live anywhere near the rust belt another possibility is the tubes on the top of the fuel sender. My '91 recently developed a hairline crack in the return line. Since the gas gage hasn't worked for years I went ahead and bought a Crown sender/pump for around $185.

snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

Reply to
jeff

Mike there are three potential spots on the 91 4.0L to check:

  1. The fuel filter input and output lines.
  2. The fuel tank sending unit gasket -- This was a recall item some years ago.
  3. The fuel fill lines.

1 is easy to check. Just crawl under the left rear and look up at where the fuel filter is, tucked up against the frame behind the left rear wheel. Look for any wet spots or evidence of dripping on the inside of the rear tire.

2 Can be checked by looking between the fuel tank and fuel tank skid plate just aft of the left rear wheel. If it looks wet just after a fill-up, then suspect the sending unit gasket located on the top of the tank. To repair this the gas tank skidplate and tank must be dropped and removed from the vehicle.

3 is checked by pulling down the mudflap at the bottom rear left corner below the taillight. Use a flashlight to look up toward the fuel filler lines to check for wetness and drips.

Reply to
reconair

Cool. After reading all these I got under there again and did some snooping. The fuel filter looked and smelled fine, no strong odors there. I moved that flap and nosed around with a flashlight and it seems to be coming from above my fuel tank, which would indicate a busted gasket. So now I get to go on the adventure of fixing it. Any suggestions?

rec> Mike there are three potential spots on the 91 4.0L to check:

Reply to
ryan.a.jamieson

snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com did pass the time by typing:

pbBlaster on the bolts and what ever you do, make sure you drain the tank. :)

Seriously, gas is very heavy and even a partially filled tank is no fun. A floor jack and piece of plywood with some jack stands will help hold things up while you lower it a bit to get at the connections. Fuel line (2), wiring, fuel fill and vapor release lines, and the vapor line that runs up to the canister.

The leak from above could be simply a cracked line or a rotted O ring seal. It's also possible the vent line to the charcoal canister is cracked.

You don't know till it's down.

Reply to
DougW

Reply to
Joe C

Reply to
nnote

There are three bolts on the inside above the rear end and four across the bottom of the bumper that hold the skid plate/tank combo up. If you still have the rear exhaust hanger you may need to remove that as well to let the tail pipe drop. Two floor jacks make it easier to jimmy the tank back and forth to get it down and back up again. As others have said, this is best done on an empty tank. BTW, is your's the 15 gal or

20 gal option? If you have the standard 15 gal tank now is a good time to pull the breather line and convert it to 20 gal.
Reply to
jeff

Here is a link on doing the gas tank mod while it's open:

Mike

Mike Romain