91 XJ: Checking rear diff and gotchas/advice

I'm going to change out the rear diff oil, I've got plenty of trac-loc additive. What should I check while I have the rear diff cover off? Look for metal particles in the oil? Anything else?

Reply to
Doug

There should be a small (nickel sized) magnet in the bottom of the diff. It is there to catch metal. If it is there, clean it off. If it isn't there then get one and put it in.

3M scouring discs are marvelous for cleaning off the old gasket material. Make sure you get the mating surfaces NICE and CLEAN!

Brake cleaner spray is also good for making sure the mating surfaces are good and clean before you put new RTV on them.

Drifter "I've been here, I've been there..."

Reply to
Drifter