'91' XJ: Coolant smell on startup

I get a distinct odor of coolant whenever I startup my '91' XJ. I haven't noticed any leaking coolant anywhere (there are no puddles of coolant). It looks like there may be leakage from the thermostat area because there are some deposits there. Whatever it is, it's a slow leak, I just hope it's not the heater core as I heard it's hell getting to replace that.

Does Mike Romain still post here? He was really helpful in some of my past problems.

FragSinatra

Usually when you see puddles it's "a bad thing"

Yes, the core basically requires removing the whole dash. It's not fun.

There are lots of places for a small leak. One that had me was a tiny pinhole on the heater return hose that was pissing on the hood liner. Just enough so that when then engine started it drew in the odor.

Eventually I found it when I was working on another project. Leaned on the hose and it sprayed me. :/ Didn't have a spare so I cut off two inches and put it back on. (now I have a spare but been lazy so the spare is sitting in the Jeep)

One thing I've learned is to replace hoses about every ten years or so. They just get soft over time and it's easier to fix them in the garage than by the side of the road. Cheap insurance.

I think he does. This group isn't nearly as active as it used to be.

Take some windex and paper towel. Clean the hoses and fittings then dry them. Start the engine and let it warm up so the system is pressurized (you can tell because the top hose will get harder to squeeze) then flex the hoses a bit and look for any leaks. Then go out and check the hoses and couplings with some toilet paper. If there is a tiny leak it will show up.

Reply to
DougW

"DougW" wrote in news:k59fos$leh$1 @dont-email.me:

I just wanted to say thanks Doug.

Someone once suggested my wierd idling/cruising speed problems here might be due to a bad electrical connection in the various sensors that connect to the throttle body on my XJ. Well, I disconnected all the sensor inputs and re-connected them and the problem has apparently vanished.

FragSinatra