'91' XJ: exhaust manifold leaking, why should I care?

The original exhaust manifold (header right?) is leaking/cracked. I don't really have the cash to fix it (and buy that borla header + have it installed) right now. So what's the worst that could happen if I don't fix it? A bigger leak? A leaner mixture? The header on my old '70' Mustang lasted 20 years (as did the engine) w/no work. The only major thing that needed work was the transmission and only after 160,000 miles.

Wblane

Hate to say it, but there is the potential that you get really sick or die from Carbon Monoxide poisoning. Due to exposure from this gas seeping into the cab through your vents, etc. I'm not kidding. Back last summer there was a girl in Glenwood Springs that woke up in the hospital a few days after she passed out at the wheel. She wasn't hurt from a wreak, but CO poisoning. She said she had been driving her car with a cracked manifold for over a month. Same thing. Didn't have the money to fix it. I heard about this through a local fund raiser trying to help pay down her enormous medical bills. Including in-patient care for weeks and multiple dialysis sessions, etc.

I know the feeling of being broke, but in addition to this it can and eventually will cause some internal engine damage over time as the crack worsens.

Paul

Reply to
Paul Brogren

A leak in the exhaust manifold could cause a severe enough temperature gradient across the block to warp the engine block. Then the head gasket starts to leak. Happened to me on my '84 XJ. Find a salvage yard and pick one up cheap.

Wblane wrote:

Reply to
gkucera

Thanks for the replies. At least I know where my next two paychecks are going (from my two part-time jobs).

Wblane

Often when doing the swap, the manifold bolts break and the head needs to be removed to get the bolt out. good luck KH

Reply to
Kevin in San Diego

I called around for a manifold this week to replace the one in the '94 YJ I picked up last night. Found several in a wrecking yard and he want's $75 apiece. You can change it several times for the cost of new, or a set of headers. Speaking of that, what's with the $250-$350 headers? I can remember getting headers for a V-8 for like $60. The materials can't be *that* much better.

-- Old Crow '82 Shovelhead FLT 92" 'Pearl' '95 Jeep YJ Rio Grande ASE Certified Master Auto Tech + L1 TOMKAT, BS#133, SENS, MAMBM, DOF#51

Reply to
Old Crow

Great. So, that's why my XR has studs for the exhaust headers and is SO much easier to work on it's almost fun.

Wblane

Is this because the manifold can't divert the heat anymore? How long did this take to happen?

Thanks! Matt

Reply to
Matt

Reply to
L.W.(ßill)

Sorry to keep re-posting on this, but how long did this take to happen? I've had a crack for about 2 months, not really serious (but getting louder), I already bought the part and gasket and am getting it on next week.

Thanks a lot!!

Matt

Reply to
Matt

Hi Matt, The crack has to be pretty good sized, enough that it should irritate you and kind of embarrass you, when pedestrians look over at you from the cross walk. This crack:

on David Moller'sof this group should have warp a valve. From my hot rod days those thatcould resist test firing their V8s without headers instantly nailed thevalves.

Reply to
L.W.(ßill)