'91' XJ: Steering wheel alignment

Some people have noticed that my steering wheel isn't aligned properly with my wheels. What I mean by this is that if I have the steering wheel pointed straight (with the crossbar horizontal) my XJ's wheels aren't pointed straight ahead. Aside from this I have no problems w/my steering gear and my tires don't exhibit any abnormal tire wear.

Reply to
Doug

L.W.( ßill ) Hughes III

Just to be stupid, why can't I just: a. point the front wheels straight ahead b. remove the steering wheel c. re-install the steering wheel so it's correctly centered?

I don't think the problem is in the steering gear, because the vehicle tracks straight and I don't have any unusual tire wear.

Reply to
Doug

The adjustment is called the drag link as mentioned. It is a sleeve on the first steering arm that turns. The steering wheel is a GM style that only fits one way.

The off center is because of a sloppy alignment where they were lazy and didn't finish it by tweaking the steering wheel or sagging springs or worn out track bar bushings as mentioned.

Mike

Doug wrote:

Reply to
Mike Romain

Reply to
L.W.( ßill ) Hughes III

Horn too....

Mike

"L.W.(ßill) Hughes III" wrote:

Reply to
Mike Romain

This is also making the assumption that there are splines that will match up with the amount he is off-center.

I had this off-center situation after an alignment back in '73 when my dad, unintentionally, took my Dodge Dart off-road. After a week or so I no longer noticed it...... although my passengers did.

Reply to
BillyRay

Besides, adjusting the drag link only takes a couple minutes, pulling the wheel can be a nightmare, especially if he has air bags....

Mike

BillyRay wrote:

Reply to
Mike Romain

The TJ steering wheel is keyed, I wouldn't be surprised if the XJ one is also.

Reply to
Dave Milne