92 XJ Laredo Transmission Shift Rough

92 XJ Laredo 4.0, Auto, 1st shift to 2nd gear a bit rough. I wonder if change the tranny fluid may help? Can anyone tell me what kind transmission fluid shall I use? I don't have the owner's manual.
Reply to
Herb

transmission

Herb.

I've got a 96 xj with 4.L and automatic. The fluid question is a good one. First I read that all XJ's with the I6 and automatic trans had a AW-4 transmission. All meaning the first I6 auto to the last I6 auto. This transmission has a very good reputation and was/is made by Asin but somehow Warner had their hands in it. So It's not a Chrysler transmission and does not use chrysler fluid, it uses Dexron-III. I have the owners manual and on the outside of the rear cover it says 2.5L 4 cylinders use the chrysler fluid and 4.0L 6 cylinder use DEXRON. I asked at napa, they said use what the dip stick said. Wrong, it says "transmission oil". Autozone said "chrysler fluid". Haines was no help eather. Finally there it was on the outside rear cover the the owners book! I suggest you drop the pan, a pain because of the filler pipe, and replace the filter also. I used Mobil-1 synthetic transmission fluid on my 96 with 140k miles and found it to shift very smoothly.

JoBo

96XJ with Banks header.
Reply to
Jo Bo

thank you for the reply. regarding the tranny fluid, I have the similar experience. "Billy Bob" garage said they use the same fluid for all the vehicle. They also said dropping the pan doesn't change all the fluid, they uses a machine connecting to the inlet and outlet pipe of the transmission, using the internal pump in the transmission to renew ALL the fluid, so no flter change required. Chrysler dealership said I need to get the code from the back or side of the transmission body, then ask transmission shop what kind fluid for my transmission. Another dealership told me use ATF+3. Regarding the filter: Dealership suggested I drop the pan, don't need to change the filter- "that's a very very durable filter, nobody replace it, I haven't sold one in past two years." Mr. Transmission will drop the pan and replace the filter and gasket for less than 100 dollars, they warn me if I power flush the tranny, I might be end up "walk" in a week.

My question is: who is right? Shall I replace the filter?($100 Canadian sold in Chrysler), drop the pan or just get a power flush.

TIA

Reply to
Herb

Herb.

The filter and gasket was like $20 US at AutoZone and originally the pan was put on with RTV. Mobil Synthetic Dexron was about $5. US per quart and it took a little over 4 quarts. I've also herd power flushing is bad. I removed the drain plug but there was more because the drain plus is recessed, I got some on me when I removed the pan. Then when I removed the filter more fluid came out! Needless to say where it went. Drop the pan so you can clean the bottom of the pan and the 2 magnets. Then remove the filter and use brake cleaner or whatever to clean it. It's a fine wire mesh filter. Dry it good then put it back on then use rtv to seal the pan. No parts, just fluid. Or check a FLAPS (frendly local auto parts store) for the filter and cork gasket. If you look at the right side of the transmission case you'll see "ASIN" in the casting. That uses DEXRON fluid. The Chrysler transmission used in the 4 cylinder models use the special chrysler stuff. I do most all work on my cars because of things like using the correct fluid are very important. billy bob is definetly wrong about the fluid, but is right about dropping the pan dosen't get it all. When I get a "new" car I usually change it once, run it for a few days then drop the pan, replace gasket and filter. That way what's still in there (about 1/4 to 1/3 the total) is 66 to 75% new plus what I put in is also new. So then most of it has been changed. What's important to me is to get what's in the bottom of the pan out. What ever way you go I think the Mobil 1 synthetic fluid is worth the cost. There are also other brands of synthetic fluid and there are some "blends". Also since your in Canada the synthetic fluid may work better for you in the cold weather. Last but not least, there's two readings on the transmission dip stick. One for COLD and the other side is for HOT. Definetly DO NOT OVERFILL. Mine is half way up the hash marks on the hot scale when thourghly warmed up with a ten mile drive.

JoBo

"Herb" wrote in message news: snipped-for-privacy@rogers.com...

Reply to
Jo Bo

Did you wait 'til 140K miles to change your auto-trans fluid? You're right about that damn filler pipe. I had a bitch of a time getting the filler pipe disconnected from the auto trans pan. What kind of auto transmission filter did you have? Mine was just a screen so I had nothing to replace.

Wblane

Wblane did pass the time by typing:

That's what it is. Just a metal screen/brillo pad/looking thingy. Same on my ZJ. Remove, clean with solvent, dry, replace.

Reply to
DougW