92 YJ, Do I have a Timing Chain Tensoner?

1992 YJ I6 4.0 165k miles.

The clacky clack rattle at idle is driving me nuts. If this year motor has the tensoner I'll pay the labor to have it done. I've read enough to know what a pain in the ass it will be to get to those two bolts. If not, it should be about a 6-pack job right? (ok, maybe

10).

To bad there aren't parts to make it a direct gear only system. Chains always stretch and the whine from the gears would be so unique sounding on an I6 Jeep.

Thanks, Brian

Reply to
brianc

Have you checked the Mopar Performance catalog? I don't have one here, but I kind of remember a gear drive system. Pricey though, if I am remembering right. There are roller rockers and mechanical adjusters too.

Saludos cordiales,

Earle

Reply to
Earle Horton

Reply to
RoyJ

The chain is good for over 200,000 miles. Most folks don't keep a Jeep through two chains. :) Depending on the space you have the hardest part is removing the harmonic balancer and pressing it back in. (don't use a hammer it screws up the bearings) Use the correct tool.

The rest like RoyJ says is just engine bits. Might think about the water pump while your there, just make sure you get the correct rotation. Not a bad time to also replace the idler pulleys or even the radiator if it's getting plugged. It's not like your not already up to your elbows anyway.

Since it's clicking you need to carefully inspect the guard for wear. You don't need the chain carving a hole.

Reply to
DougW

The life of the chain depends a lot on how you drive it and maintain it too. If you slack off on oil changes it will shorten life a got bit and also if you are one to wind it out in everygear all the time. Chains seem to last loanger in sticks than automatics and this is likely because of the constant sudden RPM changes in engine with a automatic shifting which stresses chain when it is arresting camshaft momentum on a upshift. (especailly WOT) With sticks this tends to be more gradual.

----------------- TheSnoMan.com

Reply to
SnoMan

I agree completely with looking at the parts that are off: water pump, hoses, radiator, belt, fan clutch, maybe even the alternator. But you sure can go through $$$$ if you do!!!

Might as well put > RoyJ wrote:

Reply to
RoyJ