'93 GC Coolant Temp Gauge problem

My '93 GC 4.0L 6cyl dashboard temp gauge has started going crazy. It is bouncing between full cold and the correct center scale temperature. It seems to be motor load dependant such that if I step on the gas the gauge works, coasting the gauge drops. I wacked the dashboard and that does not make the gauge work. I figure it is a bad connector or the wiring is going bad at the sensor but my real question is where is the dashboard gauge sender located on the engine?

I see one temp sensor at the front of the engine right near the thermostat with two wires going to it but I think that one is for the fuel injection. In my case the engine runs fine when the gauge is at mininum temp, gas mileage is about the same as ever, and I am not getting any check engine lights or codes so it seems as though there is probably separate sensors. Can anyone give me a hint where the sender is?

Walt B.

Reply to
wb

On the drivers side top rear of the head. Could be a purple wire if it is like the old ones.

I would be checking the connection and if it's ok but looks pulled on then I would be checking the engine and tranny mounts for a blown one. A bad mount can let the engine move enough to pull on that wire.

Mike

wb wrote:

Reply to
Mike Romain

Thanks for the info. I'll take a look tonight after work. One clarifying question. Is the sensor on the backside of the head facing the firewall or on the drivers side of the head near the firewall end (i.e. somewhere under the intake manifold)?

Walt B.

Reply to
wb

Right on the top corner pointing up.

Mike

wb wrote:

Reply to
Mike Romain

wb did pass the time by typing:

Handy dandy ref:

DougW

Well last night I easily found the sensor (Thanks everyone). The plug was quite dirty and seemed loose. The sensor had dirt down where the contact is. Its pretty tight working on it since the big wiring harness is so close.

I cleaned up the plug and contacts and pressed it back on. However it seems as though there was no click or snap and the plug was snug but definately not a real tight fit. I am thinking that the postive retaining aspect of the connector is maybe broken or worn out however the gauge worked perfectly. I'll keep an eye on it.

Walt B.

Reply to
wb

wb did pass the time by typing:

Napa has a pigtail to replace that connector if the tab thingy is broken. Don't know the number off-hand. You might also be able to use a couple of zipties to hold it more secure.

Reply to
DougW